[Sosfbay-discuss] Impeachment Actions- Show It Off Campaign...

Carol Brouillet cbrouillet at igc.org
Thu Apr 5 12:14:20 PDT 2007

The Show It Off! campaign (the mass wearing of
impeachment garb) will start in the week
preceding April 28. If we can get just 5% of the
58% who want to see Bush/Cheney gone, we're
talking millions of people whose visibility would
bypass the media's indifference. It could change
the whole political atmosphere and put impeachment on the front burner.

One of the building tactics I have in mind in the
weeks leading up to A28 is for teams of people
(e.g., 3-8 people) all wearing appropriate shirts
in the same color (e.g., Bush is Over! Cheney is
Over! Torture is Over! in black) and going onto
subway cars, into stations, on buses, in parks,
down sidewalks, etc. carrying flyers promoting
the SIO and A28, T's, armbands and bright peach
or orange decals that people could buy on the
spot and put on. Individuals could this too and
they could recruit people to join them on the
spot! The decals could be manufactured in rolls
and each decal sold for $1 each. If we could have
a cameraperson along who could record this, these
"I-teams" could be popularized and spread
nationally via YouTube, et al. If you picture
what teams of people going out this way dressed
up this way would look like, you can get a sense
of how this could become a sensation.

For the T's, go to http://bushisover.org. They're
are on the bottom of the page.

This is the pitch that I made for the SIO idea originally:

The rationale for this proposal is this: we are
confronting a very difficult situation because we
cannot rely on the mass media to give us decent
coverage of our protests. Unlike what we saw in
the 1960s, the mass media are a different entity
today. The Democratic Party has also moved
decidedly to the right and are vigorously
opposing impeachment proceedings. And thus, we
are facing the combined opposition of the
Democratic Party and the mass media. This is the
main factor holding people back till now because
the opposition to impeachment by the opinion
leaders of the society is a huge impediment. All
of this occurs in the face of the fact that a
substantial majority of people actually support
impeachment. How do we then make a breakthrough
given these factors and the urgency of the situation?

We need to take advantage of our strengths and
minimize our weaknesses. One of our strengths is
that we DO have a majority of people behind us,
but that support is latent, unorganized, and
largely unexpressed (save the November 2006
election results). The big elephant in the room
doesn't realize that it's an elephant and
therefore hasn't begun to throw its weight
around. We need to find ways to get this
widespread support to be manifested and for it to
be manifested in ways that by-pass to a significant extent mass media coverage.

If even 5% of the 58% plus who support
impeachment were to wear an impeachment T-shirt
or orange armband or buttons, etc. we're talking
MILLIONS of people. The ubiquity of such an
action would mean that it doesn't matter whether
mass media cover us or not because millions of
Americans will be seeing this with their own eyes
in their own towns, cities, schools, workplaces,
communities, etc. This would be an
extension/adjunct to Jacob's Big Billboards'
campaign in that the masses of people will be
walking and talking small billboards all over the
country. (And it will cost a lot less! LOL)
Moreover, the sales for T's and other materials
will be very large and a major fundraiser in its
own right. These proceeds could help us pay for
things like TV commercial time and billboards.

Not only will this give heart to the people who
are dying to see this regime ended TO SEE OTHERS
OUT THERE, but it will allow people to LINK UP
with each other - exchanging contact information
with each other to carry forth further actions
both on that day and on succeeding days. Since
people will be by definition doing these things
in their own local communities, the people they
hook up with also live in the same area and we
would give a huge boost to the ranks of the movement.

This idea could be supplemented with a campaign
to get people to put impeachment bumper stickers
on their cars also and take up wearing big orange
stickers on their persons and posting these
stickers in the world. People could do mass
assemblies on this day or these days and take
pictures of it, including things like the Impeach on the Beach actions.

We could make orange the recommended color of the
day (as WCW has because of Gitmo and Abu Ghraib)
and people could find different ways to do this -
wear an impeachment shirt (like the "Impeach Bush
& Cheney" shirt that afterdowningstreet.org has),
wear a button, an orange armband, a wrist band,
an impeachment cap, etc. We ought to TAKE
ADVANTAGE OF THE ENTHUSIASM OF YOUTH too, and
take this out to the HIGH SCHOOL and COLLEGE
campuses ahead of the day and have them take this
up and help to popularize it. Freeway blogging/signs could be part of this too.

To promote this we could encourage groups of
people, esp. youth, to don appropriate gear
(e.g., 5-8 people all wearing black "Bush Is
Over!" T-shirts) and going out into gatherings
like clubs, subways, buses, parks, walking down
the street, etc. with wide orange armbands with
IMPEACH on them, t-shirts, decals on rolls,
flyers, and a camera person to record this, and
encourage people to don the gear, buy and use the
stickers. We want this to take on the character
of a sensation that starts to spread like wildfire.

People could do the "Bush is Over," "Torture is
Over," "Cheney is Over," "War is Over," etc. on
their bodies and on signs as a part of this campaign.

The point is, we have at least 58% of the people
in support of impeachment, but we need to find
ways besides mass demonstrations (which are, of
course, terribly important), to manifest this
fight and get people to start talking to each
other about this. People like David Swanson and
Cindy Sheehan (and Dinah Mason) who make a
regular practice of wearing an impeachment shirt
all report that people approach them and start
excitedly talking about it. Impeachment T Day
could be abbreviated as "IT," which, of course,
works with the "I want it, do you want it?" slogan that Jacob proposed.

Sociologist Noelle Neumann has a phrase, the
"spiral of silence," that describes how people
who think that their views are in the minority
shut themselves up in the face of what seems to
be the prevailing dominant opinion. The fact that
a large majority support  impeachment is a
strategic factor in our favor. The fact that the
mass media are on the other side is of course a
strategic factor going against us.

We want to make impeachment a dividing line
question in society as a whole and get people
debating this and choosing sides. With a lot
people everywhere wearing something to show their
support for impeachment, it doesn't matter in a
way if mass media don't cover us, although if
this succeeds, of course, they will cover us to some extent.

The point is that we should carry this out in a
way that makes media's coverage or non-coverage a
secondary or tertiary factor or even almost a
non-factor because our t's and other visible
messages are so widespread. We want to get the
backward forces - those who oppose impeachment -
who now dominate the airwaves and political
institutions to have to step back and deal with
the strength, numbers, visibility and determination of our forces.

The reason I suggest making a special effort to
get high school and college students to take this
up ahead of time is because they can be a
catalyst to broader sections of the people and
also, of course, because the presence of youth
and students is lagging and badly needs to be buttressed and it needs to bloom.

Dennis Loo, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Sociology