[Sosfbay-discuss] CA Greens: Perata Iraq pullout resolution a scheme to repair Democrats' image.( was re: CA Democrats Leading the Way to Bring our Troops Home)

JamBoi jamboi at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 9 17:45:28 PDT 2007

I just found this news release.  I still say its better that something
tried something, no matter how impure their motives are than for
everyone to just sit on their thumbs and let the bastard illegit BushCo
have its way.

Impeach for Peace!

Drew

CA Greens: Perata Iraq pullout resolution a scheme to repair Democrats'
image.

Green Party of California
www.cagreens.org

April 06, 2007
Released April 05

Contact: Susan King, spokesperson, 415.823-5524 funking at mindspring.com
Dr. Bob Vizzard, spokesperson, 916.206 8953, thevizz at aol.com
Sara Amir, spokesperson, 310.270-7106 saraamir at earthlink.net
Cres Vellucci, press secretary, 916.996-9170 civillib at cwnet.com

Greens blast Perata Iraq pullout resolution as a 'self-serving' scheme
to repair Democrats' image as party that calls for peace, but funds war

SACRAMENTO -- Legislation to put a measure on next year's presidential
primary ballot calling for the immediate withdrawal of U.S. troops from
Iraq is nothing more than Democrats playing "self-serving" politics
while Americans - including Californians - continue to die, said
members of the Green Party of California today.

Senate President Pro Tem Don Perata said Thursday he would introduce a
resolution to immediately begin the withdrawal of U.S. forces, and urge
the president and Congress to  provide the diplomatic and non-military
assistance to promote peace in the region.

But Greens said it was way too little, and way too late.

"Last month, Democrats in Congress voted to fully fund the war through
late 2008. Now Democrats here are calling for the return of the troops?
This bill is nothing more than a self-serving attempt by the Democratic
Party to repair its image as a party that says it wants peace but votes
for war," said Jeff Kravitz, a 2006 Green Party congressional candidate
(5th CD).

He noted that Perata and other state Democrats would do better spending
their time with the California Democrats in Congress - starting with
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi - who voted for the $124 billion
supplemental House funding bill.

"The death toll in Iraq, for U.S. and Iraqi civilians, continues to
climb and all Democrats can do is claim to be opposed to the war, while
funding it. This resolution would have been a good idea...four years
ago. It's way too late and way too little," added Kravtiz, who pointed
out that the Green Party has been opposed to the war in Iraq, unlike
Democrats and Republicans, since it began.

The Democratic Party-controlled Legislature even failed to move
legislation last year that called for a return of the California
National Guard from Iraq. The measure died in committee after
languishing for months because the Democratic Party leadership refused
to put it up for a vote. Three Democrats refused to vote or voted
against it in committee. It failed 3-3.

<http://www.cadem.org/c.jrLZK2PyHmF/b.2639941/k.DF03/Vote_Us_Out_of_Iraq_Petition/siteapps/advocacy/ActionItem.aspx>.