[Sosfbay-discuss] Heavy General Meeting attendance not a County Council emphasis. (was re: Proposal to move future General Meetings to 3rd Thursda...)

JamBoi jamboi at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 14 12:35:00 PDT 2007

Tian, I think that would assume that our 'winning formula' involves
having a goal of getting a lot of people coming to the General Meeting.
 Quite frankly the County Council doesn't necessarily have that as a
major goal.  The CC has consistently said among ourselves that we're
not wanting to emphasize the General Meeting as if it were
representative of being a GPSCC member (ie. its not!) and instead want
to emphasize fun, functional and informative events, like our our
candidates forum, the holiday party, our weekly Friday night SVIC
Impeachment Vigils (Castro and El Camino 5:30-7pm) with dinner
afterwards, or the upcoming Monday showing of American Blackout or our
Health Care Committee, Media Committee, Event Committee, or Strategic
Committee meetings.

Now maybe if we can succeed in recreating the General Meeting
experience so its not ust a
have-to-do boring business meeting with overly much contentiousness
we'll alter our direction on this, but for the time being part of the
reason you'll find the turnout is small is that we (the CC) is quite
consciously de-emphasizing it.

So I'll re-phrase your statement and say that as a social justice
organizer for many, many years I've found that deemphasizing
contentious boring business meetings and actually having fun getting
things done and connecting with real issues is the winning formula!

Organize, Energize, Coalize!

Drew

--- Tian Harter <tnharter at ispwest.com> wrote:

> JamBoi wrote:
>
> >So far the Third Thursday seems to be winning.  Any other input?
> >Nominations for other times?
> >
> >As far as the Peace Center goes it appears that Monday and Thursdays
> >are open.  Wednesday currently has a group using it (although we may
> be
> >able to negotiate something with them).  Also we are not stuck with
> the
> >Peace Center (despite the fact it has many advantages and the fact
> its
> >painful to go through the search process we can certainly be open to
> >other possibilities).
> >
> >I'd like us to consider the possibility of sometimes holding the
> >General Meeting in other parts of the county - particularly the
> South
> >Valley and North Valley so that we can be inclusive of different
> folks.
> > I've also been asked repeatedly why we left the Indian restaurant
> in
> >Sunnyvale.  So I'd be open to rotating locations sometimes.

JamBoi: Jammy The Sacred Cow Slayer

The Green Parties' #1 Blogger
See http://google.com/search?hl=en&q=JamBoi
http://dailyJam.blogspot.com

"To the brave belong all things"
Reply from Celts invading the Italian penninsula's when nervous Romans asked.
approx 400BC