[Sosfbay-discuss] Libertarian streak intact as Congressman Ron Paul (R-TX) seeks GOP nod

JamBoi jamboi at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 21 22:11:07 PDT 2007

http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070414/OPINION01/704140310/1035/archive

Libertarian streak intact as Paul seeks GOP nod

April 14, 200

Impressions of the candidiates

This is part of a series of essays based on meetings of presidential
candidates with the Register’s editorial board. They are meant to
provide an account of each meeting and give readers a sense of what
it’s like to meet the candidate in person.

Texas Congressman Ron Paul sounds like a liberal when he bemoans the
growth of the military-industrial complex. And he sounds like a
conservative when he puts down bureaucrats and big government.

Wearing black sneakers for his meeting with the Register editorial
board, Paul walks a different philosophic path than the other
candidates in the presidential race. He was the1988 presidential
nominee for the Libertarian Party, but is running this time for the
Republican nomination. The strong Libertarian streak remains, though.
He champions individual rights, limited government and low taxes.

His beliefs may tread the edge of mainstream thought, but he doesn't
harangue. Indeed, almost everything about him appears understated:
dark-gray suit, gray-patterned tie and his hands folded in front of him
for most of the meeting. A slight man, he gets a twinkle in his eyes
and the pitch of his voice rises with incredulity as he recounts
government excesses.

The federal No Child Left Behind law, pushed by President Bush,
"essentially doubles the size of the Department of Education," he said.
"Do you think that's going to help the students? No, it entrenches the
bureaucrats."

He's dismayed by the notion that fighting terrorism demands erosion of
civil liberties.

"I don't feel safer by yielding up our freedoms. I think we're less
safe because of our foreign policy." Then he chuckled. "That's what
worries me."

At times he grins almost impishly. It's as if he can't believe his own
government is so foolhardy, and he wants to make sure his audience
recognizes the absurdity.

"The claim is ... that they attack us because we're free and
prosperous," he said. "I don't think that's the reason at all. I think
they tell the truth when they say, 'We don't like you over in our face,
putting military troops on our soil, which we consider sacred territory
and holy land.'"

He would disentangle from foreign engagements, withdrawing troops not
only from Iraq but also from South Korea and Europe and paring other
spending by the defense and state departments.

"Why does this country have to spend more money on the military than
any other country in the world, and there's not one single country
capable of, nor thinking of, attacking us?" he asked.

He would use the savings for transitional payments to shift away from
government-funded entitlements - Social Security, Medicare - and toward
individual savings accounts to pay for retirement and health care.

Paul has seen health care up close. He's a doctor, specializing in
obstetrics and gynecology. His Web site says he's delivered more than
4,000 babies.

Government distortion of the marketplace has "manufactured" many of the
problems in health care, including the large number of uninsured
people, he contended.

"No one sits around and says, 'How are we going to get poor people
computers and telephone and television sets,' they just end up getting
them, because the market helps provide, when there's an incentive," he
said. "Those prices are driven down. But when you get the government
involved, and there's subsidies, and there's pressure on housing,
education and medicine, even with improved technology, prices go up."

Paul is an experienced public servant, serving more than 16 years in
Congress, in three stints. He's also an avid walker and prefers
comfortable shoes after knee surgery (hence the walking shoes).

He says he's in the race to win. And he's convinced his distinctive
message will resonate with voters. But he's been around enough to know
he's got a long walk ahead.

- Carol Hunter

JamBoi: Jammy The Sacred Cow Slayer
The Green Parties' #1 Blogger
http://dailyJam.blogspot.com

"To the brave belong all things"
Celt's invading Etrusca reply to nervous Romans around 400BC