[Sosfbay-discuss] Fwd: BAREC Referendum update, CEQA Challenge, City Council Aug 21st

WB4D23 at aol.com WB4D23 at aol.com
Fri Aug 17 18:27:52 PDT 2007

In a message dated 8/16/2007 9:42:30 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
kmathewson at secretgardens.com writes:

Dear BAREC  Supporters,

I am pleased to announce the overwhelmingly  positive feedback we have
received from the community regarding the referendum  drive.  Our website has been
updated with all the latest articles and it  continues to be a place for
updates.  Please look at: _www.SaveBAREC.com_ (http://www.savebarec.com/)   when you
have time.

Additionally, we continue to lead the community  in the effort to protect the
citizens and the BAREC land.  On Friday,  August 10, 2007, SaveBAREC.org
filed a CEQA (California Environmental Quality  Act) lawsuit against the City of
Santa Clara for adopting what we feel is an  inadequate Environmental Impact
Report (EIR). The lawsuit (actually a petition) challenges six major  flawed
areas in the Environmental Impact Report (EIR), including the soil  testing and
cleanup, traffic, significant impacts, loss of farmland, and  history.

In filing this "Petition for Writ of Mandate," SaveBAREC is challenging the
validity of the  Environmental Impact Report (EIR) in an effort to protect the
residents from a  faulty cleanup process and the community from an
environmental document that  is inaccurate.

I, Kirk Vartan, was nominated to be the sole  spokesman for the group during
the referendum and CEQA petition proceedings.  This means should  anyone
contact you or ask you for information, please direct them to me via  email (the
best way) or by phone.  Contact information is as  follows:

Email: _spokesman at SaveBAREC.org_ (mailto:spokesman at SaveBAREC.org)
Phone: 888-BAREC-80, press 0 (888-227-3280, press  0)

Our priority right now is the referendum.   We would like you to attend the
Tuesday, August 21, 2007 City Council meeting at 7pm when they discuss the
referendum  and determine the next steps.  We hope the Council will save the City
of  Santa Clara over $172,000 and simply rescind the resolutions.  If they do
 not, the Council will be forced to put these two resolutions on the ballot
in  February 2008, costing the taxpayers an additional $172,000.

As a side  note, the Tuesday SJ Mercury News article (August 14,  2007) had a
slight error when it stated SaveBAREC was a non-profit.  VIVA  is the primary
501(c)(3) non-profit supporting the grassroots community  SaveBAREC
_http://www.savebarec.org/docs/sj-merc-aug-14-2007.pdf_
(http://www.savebarec.org/docs/sj-merc-aug-14-2007.pdf)

We continue  to work for the public good and for protecting the LAST
significant piece of  public agricultural land in Santa Clara.

Thank you,

Kirk Vartan
SaveBAREC  Spokesman

_spokesman at SaveBAREC.org_ (mailto:spokesman at SaveBAREC.org)
_www.SaveBAREC.org_ (http://www.savebarec.org/)
888-BAREC-80