[Sosfbay-discuss] Report on a Jared Ball campaign event in NorCal

Drew Johnson JamBoi at Greens.org
Mon Dec 17 11:40:29 PST 2007

http://www.jaredball.com/?p=36
Potential Green Party nominee visits HSU
by Cerena Johnson, 12/12/2007  The Eureka Reporter, California

Green Party presidential hopeful Jared Ball visited Humboldt State
University Wednesday to deliver a message in a distinctive political
style.

Accompanied by “mayor of DC hip-hop” artist Head-Roc, local poets and
speakers, Ball emphasized issues that he said are largely unaddressed in
society.

“We’re using hip-hop as the delivery vehicle to get to the people of
culture,” Head Roc said, to get people in different communities interested
and participating.

“We’re trying to erase a lot of the negative stereotypes,” Head-Roc said.

Ball said by using hip-hop style, he is trying to reach out to the
communities who are most disenfranchised.

“We want to help build the Green Party,” he said, and “help re-center the
discussion.”

He lists among his campaign issues a redistribution of wealth in order to
approach problems such as poverty and access to health care.

The top 1 percent of Americans are wealthier than 90 percent of the
population, he said.

Ball also offered the example of the prison industrial complex, in which
80 percent of prisoners are non-violent offenders, and said issues such as
police brutality need to be addressed.

“If we address how we treat people here, it would have a direct effect on
what we do overseas,” he said.

Ball said he is running his campaign based on the influence of the goals
of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Ball is an assistant professor of communications studies at Morgan State
University in Baltimore, Md.

Ball is also an independent journalist; a radio host with WPFW 89.3 FM
Pacifica Radio in Washington, D.C.; the editor of Words, Beats and Life
Global Journal of Hip-Hop Culture; founder of FreeMix Radio: The Original
Mixtape Radio Show; and a veteran of Desert Shield/Desert Storm.