[Sosfbay-discuss] SVIC meeting tonight - some topics for consideration

John Anderson pjohna at rcn.com
Wed Feb 7 18:05:32 PST 2007

Agenda

1. feb 14 events- delivery of demand for impeachment to politicians-
drew and merriam
2. planning for peter phillips talk feb 16
3. whether to join larger impeachment group - merriam
4. next event
5.. the vigil - now to be "Outreach"

Hi everyone:
	I don't want to take up a lot of time given that there is already a
lot to discuss, but I'd like to introduce some ideas and suggestions,
pass then around for quick comment, and maybe take them up next meeting.

1. Articles of impeachment:
	If impeachment happens, the House Judiciary Committee will draft
articles of impeachment. So why are we having this debate about
putting together our own articles of impeachment? Well, it helps
concentrate the mind; it provides a focus for our campaign; it
provides the message for us to be on so that we can speak coherently
and more or less in concert with each other. This is so strategically
useful that a set of model articles, remember, the real thing will be
the purview of the House Judiciary Committee, that a set of well
drafted articles is a very good idea.
	When it comes to articles of impeachment, there is really only one
game in town. These are the articles drafted by the Center for
Constitutional Rights: www.ccr-ny.org/v2/home.asp. I have the book
and will bring it in. One look at the book and you can see it
immediately: CCR are the grown ups. The rest of us are kids. When
they speak we need to keep quiet and listen up. Then disagree if you
must, but listen first.
	There are only four articles, the biggies, no Katrina, no global
warming, no failure to prevent 9/11. Not that these aren't bad
things, even crimes, but strategically, CCR understands that you go
for the low hanging fruit. Go for the articles on which you can win
most easily: 1. Illegal spying; 2. Lying us into war; 3. Illegal
detention, torture, expansion of executive authority over both the
other branches of government. 4. Repudiation of constitutional
constraints on executive authority as specifically laid out in
signing statements which declare his right to continue illegal spying
and illegal detentions and torture.
	I'll bring in copies for distribution and suggest that we discuss
this further next meeting.

2. How to get impeachment on the table:
	 Nancy Pelosi says that impeachment is off the table. Cynthia
McKinney put it back on the table before she left but it didn't stay
there. We can summarize our task as the Pelosi Problem: how do we get
her to put it on the table?
	Vigils aren't going to do it, not by themselves. Vigils take place
on the corner of Castro and El Camino. That's a long way from
Washington. It's not even that close to her California office. And
even if we were to occupy her office indefinitely, it wouldn't do
much to pressure or persuade her.
	We solve the Pelosi Problem by lateral thinking. We solve it by
going elsewhere. We go to the state legislature and demand that it
submit articles of impeachment directly to the House as it is
entitled to do so under the Jefferson rules. New Mexico is showing
the way. There has been a lot of excited comment about this. We
should be trying to do the same thing in California. In the end, it's
the only realistic way to solve the Pelosi Problem: go round her. It
will take only one of the 50 states to do it and impeachment is under
way! We should see getting California to be that state as the
vineyard in which we labor.
	As a means to that end, we should be trying to persuade Mountain
View and other municipalities to request of the Califonia legislature
that it draft and submit article of impeachment - here the model
articles from CCR might well have further use. There will be
resistance with claims that it's not within a city council's proper
sphere to be engaged in such activities; all these arguments can be
rebutted.
	And why start locally? As Tip O'Neill famously said: "All politics
is local". The smaller the scale of Govt., the more responsive to the
people. We go to the council because they are here and can't escape
us. The campaign will attract attention, and publicity, and generate
debate. Win or lose, we win on those grounds at least. So let's start
thinking globally and acting locally. It will work!

		- John Anderson.