[Sosfbay-discuss] naacp youth speakout

Jim Doyle j.m.doyle at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 19 17:48:20 PST 2007

*From:* Amaka Uzoh [mailto:amakuzoh at yahoo.com]
*Sent:* Friday, February 16, 2007 5:04 PM
*To:* pattiecortese at aol.com; gail.mohr at bankofamerica.com;
dave at davecortese.com
*Subject:* You are invited to the NAACP Youth Council's February Speakout!

Hello,

My name is Amaka Uzoh, and I'm senior at St. Francis High School in
Mountain View and the current president of San Jose/Silicon Valley NAACP
Youth Council. I am writing to you on behalf of our Youth Council to
invite you and your colleagues to our February 2007 Speakout: History
Lessons. If you are not familiar with NAACP's "Speakouts," they are
basically open forums designed not only to encourage discussion about
relevant issues that are plaguing our society on all levels but also
strategizing
to repair problems. In essence, they allow students, parents, and other
community members to voice their opinions, and exercise their personal
power, by collaborating with local elected officials and those in
positions of leadership towards a solution. Speakouts are a unique way
for us to express our novel ideas, and positively impact our environment
as young people.

**1:00 PM****, Saturday February 24 **

** Iguana Taqueria**

**330 South Third Street****, **

**San Jose**** ****CA**** ****95112**** **

**(S 3rd and ****San Carlos****)**

This month, we're tackling the issue of the poor and declining academic
performance of African American and Latino students in our Santa Clara
County, and the Bay Area as a whole. Of course, this has been a common
topic of discussion for years, but very seldom do you see such a
discussion amongst the students themselves. We chose to address this
issue now because as students, we feel that the situation is dire and
worsening.

The issue is not that the kids are incapable of performing well in
school, its just that many of them don't even attend their classes
regularly. How can they gain from their education if they don't even
have value for it? There are already more Black males in our prison
system than in this country's entire university system and we can't
afford for the trend to worsen. That's why we have put our great minds
together, put a twist on the issue, and come up with a solution.

In the spirit of Black History Month and the upcoming Cesar Chavez
commemoration next March, we are sponsoring the February Speakout to
create awareness amongst parents, students, the County Office of
Education and our State government not only about the issue, but about
our solution--which is for schools to start offering elective ethnic
minority African American History, Latino American History, and Asian
American History to supplement the traditional history courses already
offered.

Last year, concerned African American parents in a San Jose school
district conducted a study to see just how bad the situation truly was.
The results were shocking, and disturbing. In that district, about 64%
of the Black students were failing at least 1 class with a D or an F.
Within the individual schools, some of the results were ridiculous with
over 70% of the students failing. The statistics amongst Latino students
aren't very different and their drop out rates are just as astonishing.

I know it may be hard to believe, but many African American kids don’t
even about Ruby Bridges or James Meredith, two kids who risked their
lives and were victimized just because they had the dreams of receiving
quality educations. They don't know that Bull Connor used fire hoses
that packed enough power to strip bark off of trees, and set police dogs
on unsuspecting children who were peacefully demonstrating in
Birmingham, Alabama. They're unaware of all the harassment, shootings,
intimidation, and "disappearings," that affected the Hispanic farm
workers that tried to speak out about being sprayed with harmful
pesticides in the fields. We sincerely believe that if the students were
aware of the strife, struggle, tragedies, and steadfastness, that paved
their way, they would be more appreciative and realize that their
educations are an expensive luxury that should not be taken for granted.
The histories of ethnic minorities, especially in California, have been
filled with pain of course, but are also prodigious, rich, beautiful,
and were instrumental in the development of California. These are
lessons that should not be overlooked. Our state already has a
reputation of being the innovative role model in our country when it
comes to social reform, join us by being part of the process that will
bring another one to the list. Please support this speakout by attending
and spreading the word. The event will take place on **Saturday,
February 24 at **** 1 PM**** at Iguana Taqueria--****330 South Third
Street****, ****San Jose**** ****CA**** ****95112**** at the corner of
3rd and ****San Carlos****. **If you have any questions, the youth
council can be contacted by email youth at sanjosenaacp.org
<mailto:--youth at sanjosenaacp.org>, or by phone (408) 295-3394.

I look forward to seeing you next weekend!

Truly,

Amaka Uzoh

President

"Don't look at it as a problem. Rather, view it as a time-sensitive
opportunity for creativity..."