[Sosfbay-discuss] The 2 Baracks in Los Angeles Today

alexcathy at aol.com alexcathy at aol.com
Tue Feb 20 09:42:44 PST 2007

  Dear Friends,    Two persons are coming to Los Angeles today.    This morning when I checked, my e-mail, I received a nice invitation to participate in a rally this afternoon with the FIRST person:    Obama 08  Dear Friend,    Join Senator Obama in LA    Senator Barack Obama will be in Los Angeles next Tuesday,  February 20, 2007 for his very first presidential campaign  rally in California. It's a rally we hope will build on the  tremendous grassroots strength this campaign showed in its  very first weekend, as Obama was met by thousands of  supporters in Iowa, New Hampshire and Illinois. Now it's  your chance to show your commitment to transforming this  nation and changing politics in his country.    Please join us 2:00 P.M. Tuesday at the Rancho Cienega  Sports Complex in Los Angeles.    In announcing his candidacy, Senator Obama said this  campaign can't only be about him. He said, "It must be about  us - it must be about what we can do together. This campaign  must be the occasion, the vehicle, of your hopes, and your  dreams."    The event is free and open to the public. Tickets are not  required but recommended for faster entry. You can RSVP  below to receive your ticket by email:    Thank you!    Obama for America       I thought to myself, "Hey! That's cool! I'd like to check this out.    Then, just a little while ago, I saw this little item posted on AlterNet about a SECOND fellow who is also coming to L.A. today:
  Obama To Raise Over $1 Million In One Night At Hollywood Event   Barack Obama is making his first visit to Los Angeles since announcing his  candidacy for president -- and it's going to be a very busy and financially-productive visit.   Along with a public rally to be held at a L.A. recreation center, Obama will also be attending a series of fundraisers, including a breakfast in Hancock Park, a lunch hosted by members of an investment group, a star-studded reception at the Beverly Hilton Hotel, and a small dinner party with the fundraising co-chairs of the Beverly Hilton event to be held at David Geffen's Beverly Hills house.   The cocktail reception is expected to bring in over $1 million dollars. Among those contributing $2,300 (the allowable maximum donation) are actors Jennifer Aniston, Denzel Washington, Eddie Murphy and Tom Hanks, studio chiefs Michael Lynton (Sony), Brad Grey (Paramount), Ron Meyer (Universal), Peter Chernin (Fox), Richard Cook (Disney), and producer Brian Grazer, as well as Jim Wiatt of William Morris, and Richard Lovett of Creative Artists.   The dinner at Geffen's home is for people who helped raise at least $46,000 for the event. About 40 people, mostly part of the Hollywood contingent, will get the chance to get up close and personal with the candidate.   "The level of enthusiasm and the breadth of the support have been amazing, especially for a candidate many people here haven't met yet," Andy Spahn told the Huffington Post. Spahn is a political advisor to Steven Spielberg and Jeffrey Katzenberg, who organized the fundraiser along with their DreamWorks partner Geffen. According to Spahn, the groundswell of excitement around Obama has been unprecedented. "Presidents come into town and raise this kind of money, not candidates that have just announced. These are Bill Clinton numbers."      Ah! yes!
  An intimate dinner at David Geffen's Beverly Hills mansion with forty of his dearest $46,000-a-head friends (when I read this to Cathy she said: "So, if you ONLY raised $45,000 does that mean you're not invited?").
  In the 2000 election they LAUGHED at Ralph Nader when he filled Madison Square Garden with thousands of people who paid for a $20 ticket. I like Obama. I really do. Nevertheless, this kind of thing reminds me of exactly why this is one African-American who is PROUD to be a Green Party man.      Alex Walker