[Sosfbay-discuss] U.S. soldiers petition for U.S. to leave Iraq Wednesday, January 17, 2007

JamBoi jamboi at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 17 14:34:50 PST 2007

http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/news/1169028078300620.xml&coll=2
U.S. soldiers petition for U.S. to leave Iraq Wednesday, January 17,
2007
Sabrina Eaton
Plain Dealer Bureau
Washington -- A group of active-duty U.S. soldiers Tuesday presented
Cleveland Democratic Rep. Dennis Kucinich and other anti-war members of
Congress with a petition urging U.S. withdrawal from
Iraq.

"Staying in Iraq will not work and is not worth the price," said the
petition signed by 1,034 soldiers. Kucinich, who arrived at the end of
their Capitol Hill news conference because his flight from Cleveland
was delayed, said he would enter it into the Congressional Record.

Marine Sgt. Liam Madden of Quantico, Va., who served in Iraq, said the
group decided to present the petition to Congress "because our brothers
are dying while politicians are squabbling."

 Organizers of the event said Kucinich was targeted because of his
outspoken opposition to the war. The rally was also attended by
Massachusetts Democratic Rep. Jim McGov ern and a rep resentative
of Georgia Democratic Rep. John Lewis.

Although Kucinich insisted the troops who attended were "risking their
careers to deliver this message to Congress," soldiers at the rally
said they did not fear reprisal because they have a right to free
speech.

"I am not here wearing a uniform," said Army National Guard Sgt. Jabbar
Magruder of Los Angeles, Calif., another Iraq veteran. "I am here as a
citizen, and as a citizen soldier, I have a right to speak out against
an unjust war."

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:

seaton at plaind.com, 216-999-4212

JamBoi