[Sosfbay-discuss] Fwd: BAREC: City Council Meeting July 10, Referendum

WB4D23 at aol.com WB4D23 at aol.com
Tue Jul 10 22:03:14 PDT 2007

kmathewson at secretgardens.com writes:

BAREC  Friends:

CITY COUNCIL MEETING TUESDAY JULY 10 7 PM:  BAREC is #6B  on the Agenda.  The
purpose of the agenda item will be to ratify the  Final Santa Clara Gardens
(BAREC) Environmental Impact Report (EIR) for the  city and state's housing
plan.  This is the same one we have been  seeing for four and one-half years.
This approval means an approval of the  soil testing method, an approval of
the way the site is cleaned up (move  some of the soil off site), and an
agreement that the property has no  historical importance.  With this
approval the Council has put into  motion that the BAREC 17 acres will be
developed to look like housing  developments all over the Valley.  The public
comment period for the  EIR is over despite the fact that over half of the
people who filled out  speaker cards at the June 19th Council meeting could
not stay until 2  am.  You may speak but your comments will not be a part of
the EIR  record.   If you would like to review EDAW's comments about the  June
19 public testimony, their comments to written records introduced  (including
comments about our two attorneys), and the recommendations for  action to the
Council from the City's Director of Planning and City  Manager, please go  to:
http://cityclerkdatabase.ci.santa-clara.ca.us/pdfCreator/Export.aspx?did=AAA
AP070706180710351.DID&db=SCAGENDA

There  are many people whose public comments were not included.  If you  are
one of these people, you should let the council know either in writing  or in
person at tomorrow's meeting.

URGENT REFERENDUM:  We have  9 days left to get 7000 signatures.  If you live
in the city of Santa  Clara or know someone who does, please sign the
Referendum.  You could  also collect signatures (only if you live in Santa
Clara or go with a Santa  Clara person), make phone calls, help us verify
that the signatures are  valid registered Santa Clara City voters, or give us
a donation  (referendums are not tax deductible).  For further information
visit  our Referendum page on our website:  www.savebarec.org,  email
referendum at savebarec.org, or call 888-BAREC-80.

The Referendum will stop the City Council's vote to change BAREC's  zoning
from agriculture to high density housing for the senior project and  to 17
units per acre for the private developer's million dollar plus 110  units.
It will also stop their proposed change in the General Plan.   With 7000
signatures we will be able to place BAREC on the ballot so the  public can
vote to approve or disapprove the Council's BAREC  decision.  A positive vote
will then allow the plan the council  approved not to happen.  When the
citizens speak then the City Council  and the State will start listening to
us and we can have a real  conversation about what is the best use of the
BAREC 17 acres.

Thank  you for your BAREC support...

Kathryn Mathewson, Save  BAREC
kathryn at savebarec.org