[Sosfbay-discuss] Impeachment Now -- To Defend the Rule of Law!

JamBoi jamboi at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 19 15:04:14 PDT 2007

http://www.opednews.com/articles/opedne_alan_kob_070718_impeachment_now____a.htm
IMPEACHMENT NOW -- AS A DEFENSIVE TACTIC

By Alan Kobrin [Florida Green Party]
OpEdNews.com, July 19, 200
http://www.opednews.com

Impeachment has to happen for at least two
reasons.

First, it is the appropriate remedy called upon
to redress crimes that have likely been committed
by high elected officials.

Secondly, it may be the last best defense for our
nation to avoid martial law her, or the all-out
unthinkable catastrophe that would be a strike
(nuclear or otherwise) against Iran in the coming
days by an increasingly unstable and cornered
Administration.

Questioning the “political expediency” of
impeachment always seemed disturbing because it
permits our elected officials discretion to go
after potentially serious crimes—or not—as the
electoral calendar, but not the public interest,
dictated. Law applied only when convenient,
ceases to be Law. If We, the People, through our
representatives, allow the most serious crimes
committed in the history of our nation to go
unexamined, much less unpunished, we will have no
legacy to pass on to our children. Effectively we
will have allowed America to die.

The current moment makes this remedy even more
urgent. As important as impeachment would be to
re-establishing the ground rules of civilized
behavior in our nation, and as much as it already
can be seen as a question of life and death for
countless future victims, it has now become a
tactical move for the very survival of the United
States as many of us would like to see it.

Impeachment may well be the only means left for
an immediate shift in momentum. The movement of
personnel and materials into a new theater of war
in the Mideast gives the Administration clear
inertia for carrying out its plans. There is
little time to alter any course through normal
voting channels, even if it is to cut off
funding. That takes time and the Administration
has already declared itself ready and able to
proceed with or without funding cuts.

It is no longer a question of whether this
Administration acts from serious
intelligence-gathering or from listening to
experts, or even listening to the people it
legally represents. It clearly marches to the
beat of its own drummer, to a cadence we are not
privy to hear. We cannot count on either their
good faith or their good sense. In this
constitutional crisis of power, all available
means are called for to restore Constitutional
Balance of Power, to keep this Administration
busy explaining, and move them into a more
defensive posture, running to their lawyers, and
ducking cameras and subpoenas.

This may be the last chance the American people
have to use our available legal powers to stave
off an unprecedented catastrophe. Time is running
out. This unresponsive and largely irresponsible
Administration seems determined and desperate to
act out the Plan they have never bothered to
disclose to us, mere citizens.

If there were ever a time for national resolve,
this is it. Starting the impeachment process
now—independent of the chances of its successful
passage—will give courage to the beleaguered and
bewildered 70% who want this war to stop. It may
prevent World War III. It gives breathing room to
develop an appropriate exit strategy from Iraq.
It will renew US stature in the eyes of the
world. It means America at last will be standing
up together and fighting to redeem its heritage
as a democratic republic of the People, and
secure its future from threats, be they foreign
or domestic.

We must get our Congress & People to act NOW as
if our lives depended on it--for they do.

Spread the word—time is running out.

Alan Kobrin
Miami

JamBoi: Jammy, The Sacred Cow Slayer
The Green Parties' #1 Blogger
http://dailyJam.blogspot.com

"To the brave belong all things"
Celt's invading Etrusca reply to nervous Romans around 400BC