[Sosfbay-discuss] FWD: On SJ Gay Pride day a note about Jesus' speaking out against gay-baiting

JamBoi jamboi at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 10 14:36:24 PDT 2007

Thank you George, that was very enlightening.  And
appropriate for today since we in San Jose had our
annual Gay Pride Parade which I and a couple of other
Greens participated in.  I hope that someday soon we
might be able to have a Lavender Greens chapter
started in our county.

Greens are people of (Rainbow) color!
Drew Johnson
California

--- "George DeCarlo, CH" <geodecarlo at yahoo.com> wrote:
Drew,

This may also be appreciated.  The word has various
spellings and is translated in various manners in some
Bibles but the true meaning is ignored.  It would seem
that our Green members may give more thought instead
of contributing to the hate.  I always find it sad
that amongst Gays/Lesbians and almost all progressives
when arguing for the rights such as marriage they do
not have knowledge such as this at their fingertips
especially given their credentials (I guess they just
pass courses and did little else.).  For instance, any
Gay/Lesbian Christian Rev. that has not read books
such as those written by Boswell usually poor
arguments against their counterparts.  This statement
was made at the Sermon on the Mount.  --
George

Matthew at 5:22, where the King James version reads:

"But I say unto you, that...whosoever shall say to his
brother, Racha, shall be in danger of the counsel..."

Racha

This word is found only in some manuscripts of the New
Testament Gospel of Matthew at 5:22, where the King
James version reads:

"But I say unto you, that...whosoever shall say to his
brother, Racha, shall be in danger of the counsel..."

The text of the gospel includes no explanatory gloss,
as is usual with foreign words that would otherwise
have been unintelligible to the Greek reader, and the
majority of modern commentators understand the word as
Semitic: raka = Hebrew réqã "empty, empty-headed,
brainless." Yet there is an alternative meaning
proposed in 1922 by Friedrich Schulthess, an
Expert in Syriac and Palestinian Christian Aramaic; he
equated the word with Hebrew rakh, "soft," which would
thus be equivalent to Greek malakos/malthakos, which
denotes the passive-effeminate homosexual.

Further, in 1934 a papyrus was published from
Hellenistic Egypt of the year 257 before the Christian
era that contained the word rachas in an
unspecified derogatory sense, but a parallel text
suggests that it had the meaning kinaidos ("faggot").
It would thus have been a loan-word from Hebrew
in the vulgar speech of the Greek settlers in Egypt. A
modern Counterpart is the word rach, "tender, soft,
effeminate, timid, cowardly" in the Gaunersprache, the
argot of German beggars and criminals, which has
absorbed many terms from Hebrew and Jewish Aramaic
because of social conditions that created a linguistic
interface between the Jewish "fence" and the gentile
thief.

The import of the Gospel passage is that whereas the
old Law forbade only murder, the new morality of the
church forbids aggression even in purely symbolic,
verbal forms, and the ascending scale of offenses and
penalties is tantamount to a prohibition of what is
called in Classical Arabic mufaharah, the ritualized
verbal duel that is often the prelude to Combat and
actual bloodshed. So Jesus is represented as
forbidding his followers to utter insults directed at
the other party's masculinity -- a practice that has
scarcely gone out of fashion in the ensuing nineteen
centuries, as the contemporary usage of faggot well
attests.

....What the text in Matthew demonstrates is that he
forbade acts of violence, physical and verbal, against
those to whom homosexuality was imputed, in line with
the general emphasis on self-restraint and meekness in
his teaching....

(This is quoted, nearly in its entirety, from Warren
Johnson's entry in the Encyclopedia of Homosexuality,
Edited by Wayne R. Dynes, published by
Garland.)

--
George DeCarlo, CH