[Sosfbay-discuss] Where Can I Find Original Patriot Act Votes?

Gerry Gras gerrygras at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 15 21:57:03 PDT 2007

alexcathy at aol.com wrote:

> For a writing project, I am trying to find out who voted against the
> original Patriot Act back in 2001.
>
> (This is so frustrating you'd think by now one of the peace groups would
> have these votes posted and indexed on the web)
>
> Please advise.
>
> Alex Walker

I googled "USA Patriot Act" and the second item on the
list is for
     http://www.epic.org/privacy/terrorism/hr3162.html
which says that it is H.R. 3162 and has a copy of the
act.

Then I went to the place that keeps info about the bills:
     http://thomas.loc.gov/

and looked for H.R. 3162 in the 107th Congress (that was
6 years ago, the current congress is the 110th Congress),
and found the bill.  Then went to "Major Actions" which
showed a brief history:
10/23/2001 - introduced in House
10/24/2001 - passed by House
10/25/2001 - passed by Senate
10/26/2001 - signed by President
    AND
provided links to roll calls for House and Senate:
     http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2001/roll398.xml
http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=107&session=1&vote=00313

I hope that is what you are looking for.

Gerry