[Sosfbay-discuss] Where Can I Find Original Patriot Act Votes?

Fred Duperrault fredd at freeshell.org
Sat Jun 16 12:01:33 PDT 2007

Hi Alex,

1)Go to Wikipedia and type in "Patriot Act."
2)Click on to the first item (link) at the left.
3) At the bottom of the column (box) click on "Yeas & Nays" (The
listings of the Senate and House are separate.)

The "PA" is HR 3161.  Rus Feingold (WI) was the only Senator to vote "Nay."

Fred D.

alexcathy at aol.com wrote:

> For a writing project, I am trying to find out who voted against the
> original Patriot Act back in 2001.
>
> (This is so frustrating you'd think by now one of the peace groups would
> have these votes posted and indexed on the web)
>
> Please advise.
>
> Alex Walker

I googled "USA Patriot Act" and the second item on the
list is for
      http://www.epic.org/privacy/terrorism/hr3162.html
which says that it is H.R. 3162 and has a copy of the
act.

Then I went to the place that keeps info about the bills:
      http://thomas.loc.gov/

and looked for H.R. 3162 in the 107th Congress (that was
6 years ago, the current congress is the 110th Congress),
and found the bill.  Then went to "Major Actions" which
showed a brief history:
10/23/2001 - introduced in House
10/24/2001 - passed by House
10/25/2001 - passed by Senate
10/26/2001 - signed by President
     AND
provided links to roll calls for House and Senate:
      http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2001/roll398.xml
http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=107&session=1&vote=00313

I hope that is what you are looking for.

Gerry