[Sosfbay-discuss] Noise abatement - how to petition?

Fred Duperrault fredd at freeshell.org
Thu Mar 8 13:58:49 PST 2007

Our 2nd story bedroom is about 30 feet from Moffett Blvd. in Mountain
View.  We have developed, somewhat, a noise tolerance mentality.

However, when we have our windows open (03/15 - 11/01) the traffic
noises can become rather disconcerting.  Trucks, buses and motorcycles
are especially loud. There is one motorcycle with a very high RPM that
quite regularily accelorates past our windows late in the night, at
about the time one has just dosed off.
">*'#/~`*!*?/"x^*~>|\@^*%*%#`~*;*-<-#x!"

When we are away and staying in a very quiet bedroom or motel, going to
sleep is a problem - because the damn sheep are so noisy!

Fred

I went to college in Cambridge, Mass. (1965-1969).  Cambridge
is urban.  Occasionally I would walk to parent's house in a
suburban / semi-rural environment, and get there rather late.
I would have trouble getting to sleep because it was so quiet
at their house and it NEVER (hardly ever?) is quiet in an
urban environment.

Like a fish who is unaware of the water around, people are
unware of what is constantly around until it goes away.
I thought Boston's air was clean until we had a blizzard and
automobile traffic was restricted to emergency usage for five
days, and I saw what a large difference that 5 days made to
the air. ... People thought that air traffic made little
difference to the weather until after seeing the difference
that the 3 day, post 9/11, commercial air traffic ban made.

I consider noise pollution to be a serious problem, and I
agree that automobiles are the major source.  I guess I am
more sensitive to that because I sometimes will not hear a
noise my bicycle makes for many miles, until I am somewhere
where there is no car around for a few seconds.

I don't know how the automobile noise breaks down into its
components (engine / air turbulence / wheels on the ground).
I suspect that significant reduction of noise would require
significant reduction in speed, and what would that take?!?
Or you could try putting it all underground, and that would
cost a LOT.  (Even the sound walls next to freeways are not
cheap.)

I agree motorcycles are minor.

Gerry

Cameron L. Spitzer wrote:

> The highway near me makes a continuous rushing roar.
> If you stand on the bridge and listen to it, the components
> are tire noise on concrete, diesel trucks, and thousands
> of poorly streamlined cars rushing through the air.
> Motorcycles are not a factor.  The point sources of noise

<clip>