[Sosfbay-discuss] Doug Thompson of Capital Hill Blue: Turn offthe life support: America is dead

Tian Harter tnharter at ispwest.com
Tue Mar 13 17:24:21 PDT 2007

I think about this sometimes. It seems to me that what we need
is a way to discuss what is utterly forgetable. Not what was
forgetten as an excuse, or what is forgotten because it was burried
under a mountain of paper, or what is forgotten because the
that was supposed to tell you about it had to answer his cell
phone and you never heard whatever it was, or any of the
other things we might forget for some good reason. I'm talking
about the things that EVERYBODY forgets because there is
simply no good reason to remember them.

I have a Utah Philips CD that I really like. One of the reasons
is because he uses many clever story teller tricks to make his
words more memorable. For example in one song he talks
about somebody that was "trying to make him forget something
that if I remembered it might get me in a whole lot of trouble."
In another he talks about going outside and geting a rock,
just to drop it on your foot to prove that the past hasn't gone
anywhere. As he says "what did that rock have to do with
decade packages?"

Somehow I have a feeling that if I could come up with the right
way to frame it, people would just get the idea that cars are bad
and stop driving. I know part of the reason I can't explain it is
that they look up from talking to me and something more
important catches their eyes. How many remember my message?
I'm tempted to think fogetting the point is the usual thing...

It doesn't bother me that I forget most of my junk mail.
It doesn't bother me that I forget most of the meals I eat.
It doesn't bother me that I forget most of the enertainment
that goes by. Why should it bother me that I'm forgotten?
I don't know, but it does.... I get this feeling like nuclear waste
is really just a big pile of forgotten inconvienent truths.

--
Tian
We got great coverage for our protest in Los Gatos Saturday: