[Sosfbay-discuss] Peace & Sustainability Bike ride coming thru San Jose, we need hosts!

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Wed Mar 14 06:46:33 PDT 2007

MKmusic03 at aol.com wrote:
> /Hi All,
>
> A friend sent me this information. Sounds like a great action for us
> to support. This could be our April event. What does everyone think?
>
> This is the link to their website./
> http://www.emissariesofhope.org
>
> /Merriam/
Merriam, and all...

There are two things which converge here, and which also do not
necessarily support each other directly.

The schedule for the Emissaries of Hope puts them in San Jose on April
21, 22. with a planned discussion at that time. April 22 is Earth Day.

This project involves bicycle riding while Earth Day 2007 is a "Call to
Action on Climate Change". The focus of the Emissaries of Hope is on the
idea of a "Sustainable Community" but their actions are aimed more at
changing the way that people relate to each other.

If the GPSCC wants to become the local host for the Emissaries of Hope,
then there is an implied commitment to providing a venue for their
discussion... room and support for 20 people for 2 days. That is not a
trivial task and a decisions would have to be made quickly. However, if
all we are doing is to publicize the action for members to decide to
participate on their own, then maybe we have already done that.

On the other hand, there is no currently planned "event" from the GPSCC
for Earth Day.... though an organized bike ride might make sense. There
are several possible scenarios for this type of event. One would be a
riide through Coyote Valley that would call attention to the City of San
Jose Specific Plan to develop the valley. (50 K jobs and 80 k
residents). Another might focus on toxic cleanup surrounding Moffet
Field. Another might focus on the Santa Clara Valley Water District
plans to log redwoods in the Santa Cruz Mtns. above Los Gatos, though
that would be a much more strenuous ride.

Something to think about, anyway.

--

I have been impressed with the urgency of doing.
Knowing is not enough; we must apply.