[Sosfbay-discuss] going car free

Andrea Dorey andid at cagreens.org
Mon Mar 19 12:19:43 PDT 2007

I agree with Drew about bringing the services we have up to European
standards (my term, not his).

We also need to get multiple methods of transportation, including
BART, going around the Bay Area and make it as user friendly as
possible—that, IMHO, means allowing car/gas slaves to park their
monsters for free until we have them hooked and out of their gas-
guzzlers.  We cannot set impossibly high standards for people who are
just starting to cope with $3.50/gallon and the reality of global
warming.  It's going to be a gradual process.

I was coaxed out of a 1984 BMW 533i (read muscle car @ 19 mpg) only
when Honda Insight came out with their hybrid rocket car.  In two
weeks of driving the little "butterfly" car, I discovered that the
BMW felt like an overgrown "tank"!

People are trainable, but not by hitting them over the head with our
high principles (IMHO).  Sorry for the lecture.  But so often I see
things go wrong because nothing but the perfect solution is good
enough for the far left.

Andi