[Sosfbay-discuss] A much more fuel efficient car ....

Gerry Gras gerrygras at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 26 13:49:09 PDT 2007

Andrea Dorey wrote:

<clip>

> The supreme and best answer remains the electric car, a concept that
> was invented in 1834.  Yup, 1834.
>
> In 1895, the first auto race was won by an electric car (EV).
> In 1898, in a New York City ice storm, EVs were the only transport
> capable of moving on the roads!
> In 1903, the first speeding ticket was issued, and it was to an EV!
> In 1912, there were 38,842 EVs on the road.

<clip>

And...
In 1899, the first automobile fatality in the U.S involved an
electic cab.
     http://www.citystreets.org/plaque.html
     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Bliss_%28road_accident_victim%29

(The text says the first pedestrian, the plaque
says first recorded motor vehicle fatality,
I believe both statements are true.)

NOTE: I do NOT mean to imply that electric cars are more
dangerous.  I believe that this fact just implies that there
were more electric vehicles than other large vehicles at
that time.

NOTE: the total number of car deaths in the U.S. is either
2.1 or 3.1 million, while the total number of Americans
killed in war (from the Revolution to the Iraq War) is
around 1.1 million.

Gerry