[Sosfbay-discuss] Kissinger on the times we live in.

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Mon Mar 26 17:06:47 PDT 2007

I listened to Charlie Rose and Kissinger talk about the times that we
are living in.  I know that a lot of progressives discount all that he
says because the feel he is a war criminal, but one must admit that he
is an intelligent one, if that is your opinion. Be that as it may, I
found that there were several things that he said which made a lot of
sense.

Maybe the most important point that Kissinger made was that we are
living in unusual times.  He likened it to the time when the old
heredity empires of Europe gave way to the idea of a nation.  That was,
in the late 18th or early 19th Century, a radical idea.  Citizens of a
geography bound together by a common language, a common culture.

Now, the pressures of globalization seem to challenge the idea of the
nation as the source of order in our world.  When the problems are
global, (he used the example of global warming) nations are not an
effective structure to deal with them.  Add to that, the fact that the
challenges to nations right now comes from ideologies, not other nations.

Kissinger suggested that, in the face of these two simultaneous events,
that we might need to evolve a new way to organize society, are in fact,
evolving it now, whether consciously or not.

Then ultimately, whatever source of order as evolves, it must be
prepared to deal with the eventuality that there are those who are
willing to create total chaos and mass destruction in order to succeed.
This is the very basic concept of evil.

The second observation was that you need to understand the culture of
those with whom you are dealing.  His first example was that of China,
with a 4,000 year history of either being the dominant force in it's
world, or failing to be because of internal strife... but never from
external sources.   Kissinger still feels that the most important policy
decisions all deal with China.

Finally, he indicated that the nature of the world at this time is that
you can not make fundamental change by military force, but need to exert
influence in a much more nuanced manner, to demonstrate those qualities
which would make nations want to follow you, rather than trying to
bludgeon them into it. (sub-text was that Bush made a mistake in Iraq).

If these observations are close to being right, that the times indicates
we are moving toward a "new world order" (I hate to use that term
because it has so much baggage.) of some nature, then how do we Greens
help define what that is?

Wes

--

I have been impressed with the urgency of doing.
Knowing is not enough; we must apply.