[Sosfbay-discuss] Hawaii, DC, NM, CA and TX people of color now majority

Tian Harter tnharter at ispwest.com
Fri May 18 17:33:57 PDT 2007

JamBoi wrote:

>Based on the Census data, an analysis by
>The Associated Press showed that Illinois
>is the most average state in the country.

They know that there. Last I heard, large insurance companies
like Farmers Insurance were headquartered in places like Normal,
Illinois. Doesn't Normal sound like a great place to HQ insurance?

Peoria, IL, considers itself the perfect place to test market something,
because it is "a mix of 100,000 people, that is a microcosm of America".
The fact that it is surrounded by huge corn fields mean you can reach
them and nobody else with your marketing budget. Companies like
McDonalds love to test market stuff there to find out "if it plays in
Peoria."

I was surprised to find out in the '80s that Sacramento, CA is only
a little less ideal as a test market. For California companies it is better,
because it's a reasonable drive from most of our State.

I want to know where NORML, CA is...

>The study examined 21 demographic factors, including
>race, age, income, education, industrial mix,
>immigration and the share of people living in urban
>and rural areas.
>
>Each state was then ranked on how closely it matched
>national levels. Illinois was followed by Oregon,
>Michigan, Washington and Delaware.
>
>West Virginia was the least typical state: poorer,
>whiter, more rural followed by Mississippi, New
>Hampshire, Vermont and Kentucky.

I know that Cameron knows abou WV and Gerry knows about VT.

--
Tian
http://tian.greens.org