[Sosfbay-discuss] Hawaii, DC, NM, CA and TX people of color now majority

JamBoi jamboi at yahoo.com
Sat May 19 00:19:57 PDT 2007

I think it NEEDS to be blogged on and talked about
extensively because of the political implications,
esecially within the Green Party.  KCM Curry (running
for the GP's '08 nomination for Vice President) got my
attention on this since she rings this bell frequently
and has been sending a WAKE UP signal to the Green
Party for us to get on the ball and start to pay
attention to this fact.  I think she's right on the
money on this.

When you think about it it seems we Greens could be in
a reasonable position visa vie really serving people
of color.  After all it takes FOREVER to work your way
up in the Dems or Repubs and that inertia is killing
any flexibility they have to respond and serve the new
majority in CA.  On the other hand a person can very
quickly step in and make a huge difference in the
Green Party.

Greens ARE People of Color!

Drew

--- alexcathy at aol.com wrote:

>   The Los Angeles Times and the New York Times had
> articles on this subject also.
>
>  I wasn't going to write or blog on it because, to
> me, it was kinda "old news."
>
>  Nevertheleess, I noticed an interesting discrepancy
> between the CBS News story and the two stories I
> read.
>
>  Both the Los Angeles Times and the New York Times
> went into a lot of detail about the political
> implications.
>
>  Are you sitting down? Check out this little nugget
> I highlighted in boldfaced type buried in the NYT
> story:
>

>   = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
> = = =
> http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/17/us/17census.html
> The New York Times, Thursday, May 17, 2007  New
> Demographic Racial Gap Emerges  By SAM ROBERTS With
> the number of nonwhite Americans above 100 million
> for the first time, demographers are identifying an
> emerging racial generation gap. That development may
> portend a nation split between an older, whiter
> electorate and a younger overall population that is
> more Hispanic, black and Asian and that presses
> sometimes competing agendas and priorities. “The
> new demographic divide has broader implications for
> social programs and education spending for youth,”
> said Mark Mather, deputy director of domestic
> programs for the Population Reference Bureau, a
> nonpartisan research group. “There’s a fairly
> large homogenous population 60 and older that may
> not be sympathetic to the needs of a diverse
> youthful population,” Dr. Mather said.
>  . . .
>
>  Dr. Mather said the three most homogeneous states
> — Maine, Vermont and West Virginia — spent the
> highest proportion of their gross state product on
> public education. “There does seem to be a
> correlation,” he said. John B. Diamond, a
> professor of education at Harvard, said that
> “there are patterns of school funding that suggest
> that may be a problem down the line.” But he also
> said the impact might be mitigated by two factors.
> Because of persistent residential segregation, he
> said, elderly white voters do not necessarily live
> in the same school districts as young members of
> minorities. And, altruism aside, older voters may be
> persuaded that their pensions and other benefits
> depend on the income and taxes generated by a
> better-educated work force.
>  . . .
>
>  = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
> = =
>   My wife, Cathy Deppe, almost jumped off her chair
> when she read that one. Maine, Vermont and West
> Virginia spent the highest proportion of their gross
> state product on public education.
>
>   Wow!
>
>   Please note that those three are NOT rich states
> like Connecticut, New York, and California.
>
>   Shortly after Hurricane Katrina, Paul Krugman
> wrote a commentary in the New York Times:
>   Tragedy in Black and White by Paul Krugman
> [...]

JamBoi: Jammy, The Sacred Cow Slayer
The Green Parties' #1 Blogger
http://dailyJam.blogspot.com

"To the brave belong all things"
Celt's invading Etrusca reply to nervous Romans around 400BC