[Sosfbay-discuss] "Reboot the CC!" says Green uniTEA Nonaligned Movement; Proposal for GA from Bylaws Committee

Gerry Gras gerrygras at earthlink.net
Thu May 24 12:00:44 PDT 2007

Comments interspersed below.

JamBoi wrote:

> We need Green uniTEA my sisters and brothers!
>
> Just as during the cold war when the U.S. and U.S.S.R.
> selfishly treated the world as if their empires were
> the only thing that matter.  India arose to lead a
> group  of nations to 'Just say no" to the warring
> factions, to assert a Nonaligned Movement.
>
> I think its high time for us to assert our
> independence of these two factions and to say to them
> "NO! you won't have my endorsement and you destroy my
> party!"  Join those of us who refuse to be sucked into
> either faction's weak and self-serving justification
> for their destructive actions.  We must save our party
> from the tunnel vision of these two factions.
>
> This Reboot the CC action will be the first step but
> it can not be considered the complete solution.  We
> must alter our culture and possibly our bylaws in such
> a way whereby we do not allow any group of people to
> hijack the party and we do not allow the *service*
> organization of the CC to be perverted into an
> executive function and become a political football
> grinding us to a halt again.  Together we must
> consider how we solve these vexing issues.
>
> We can not stand idly by and allow objectionable
> domination behavior by anyone to control our party.
> We must change our culture from one of passive
> acceptance of any old crazy behavior from factions or
> individuals to a smoothly running self governance
> style where we uphold our 10 Key Values and turn them
> into the virtues they can be.  As a party if we
> actually contribute and add value to people's lives we
> will have no problem attracting members!
>
> Reboot the CC first!  Then let's put our heads
> together to make our party functional, effective and
> progressive leaders.

> Drink Green uniTEA, not factional koolaid!
> Drew Johnson
> Santa Clara County delegate to the GA preparing to
> vote for CC Reboot!
> ________________________________
>
> Subject: "Reboot the CC!" says Green uniTEA Nonaligned
> Movement; Proposal for GA from Bylaws Committee
>
> Time to drink Green uniTEA: The Team Earth
> Antifaction! ;-)
>
> I speak for the vast majority of Greens that hate that
> two factions have brought our party to its knees.  A
> pox on both their houses! Yet all of us are to blame
> also for letting this insanity drag on and on.  Now we
> have an opportunity to wipe the slate clean and start
> over.  That's right, what do you do when an electronic
> product fails?  Reboot!  Thankfully the Bylaws
> Committee has prepared the following proposal for us
> to start afresh with the CC.
>
> The CC was always supposed to be a service
> organization, not an executive function.  It has
> ceased to serve ANY function.  Time to reboot!
>
> Some have said 'why throw out the good apples with the
> bad?'.  I say 'good apples??? Which good apples are
> those?' - although I love these people as individuals,
> as a collective they have utterly failed to serve
> their function.  Time to reboot!

Although I basically agree that the CC has not been
functioning well for a long time, I ask "Why will a
reboot improve matters?"

> As John Morton <jlm108 at yahoo.com> said: "This party
> belongs to not to the CC reps, not to the GA
> delegates, not even to the 150,000 registered Greens
> in CA.  It belongs to the hundreds of thousands, the
> millions, who, if given the chance, would agree with
> the 10 KV and commit to whatever degree to participate
> in their propagation."  Time to reboot!
>
> Drink Green uniTEA, not factional koolaid!

Isn't TEA a faction?

> [...]
> supermajority voting thresholds for facilitation
> decisions has resulted in the following situations:
>
> * meetings being unable to be held at all, and no
> items even discussed in the interest of
> consensus-building, due to lack of 2/3 approval of an
> agenda
>
> * facilitators taking 45-minute stacks on whether to
> add 5 minutes to an item
> * long stretches of valuable meeting time wasted on
> discussions of whether to add an item to the agenda,
> alter the agenda or choose a new facilitator
>
> * two different voting thresholds applying based
> solely on whether the vote itself is taken online or
> during a
> teleconference, allowing proposals to be subject to
> manipulations based on voting thresholds.
>
> This proposal also clarifies basic facilitation
> procedures for GPCA coordinating committee (CC)
> meetings in order to avoid such situations. These
> facilitation procedures are based on two main
> premises:
> 1. The decision-making body has authority over its
> agenda.
> 2. Basic facilitation decisions, such as agenda
> approval, agenda amendment, and addition or
> subtraction of discussion time, are not intended to
> involve whole separate consensus processes and stacks
> of clarifying questions, concerns and affirmations on
> the facilitation decision. (Note that the facilitation
> rules passed out at plenaries do not suggest this,
> either.)
>
> This proposal is a combination of a variety of ideas
> for solving the CC's problems that have been brought
> forward over recent months. The presenters hope that
> adoption of this proposal will finally end the CC's
> infighting based on historical animosities and give
> the new CC a real opportunity to do its
> bylaws-mandated job.
>
> PROPOSAL:
> I.The General Assembly hereby reconstitutes the GPCA
> Coordinating Committee (CC)
>
> a. All seats on the CC are vacant as of 30 days from
> the passage of this proposal.
>
> b. Per Paragraph 7-1.2 of the GPCA bylaws, the GA
> shall
> allocate the 16 regional representative seats
> proportionally to the Green Party membership in each
> region. This calculation shall be performed by the
> outgoing Liaison to the Secretary of State (Larry
> Cafiero) according to the Method of Equal Proportions
> described in the appendix to the GPCA bylaws.
>
> c. All regions shall announce new elections to fill
> the
> regional representative seats as soon as possible.
> Regions must hold open, transparent elections with at
> least 3 weeks notice distributed as widely as possible
> in the region. Notice of upcoming regional
> representative vacancies shall be posted to the county
> contacts list as soon as possible after passage of
> this proposal. Regions without alternate processes may
> adopt temporary alternate processes for the purpose of

Hmm, if I combine the above ...

- the CC will have 16 voting members out of 20 leaving
   after 30 days
- new members will only come in after the proportionality
   is recomputed and announcements are made and 3 weeks
   go by after the announcements are made and elections
   are held, practically speaking, there may be a lot
   of vacant seats for awhile

> d. No one who has served on the CC, or who has claimed
> to serve on the CC, as representative or alternate,
> over the course of the past 5 years, is eligible to
> run for or fill any representative or alternate seat
> on the CC for the next 2 years.

I wonder if you can find 16 people who are willing to
be on the CC that meet this condition.  Traditionally
the Regional Rep "elections" have not been very contested.

> e.Transitional term lengths shall be varied in order
> to stagger the ending dates. This depends on the new
> apportionment by the Liaison, but end dates of the
> transitional terms would be expected to fall as
> follows:
>
> Even-Numbered Years
> 1 Emerald	January 2008
> 2 At-large 	spring GA 2008
> 1 San Francisco	May 2008
> 1 Silicon	June 2008
> 1 East Bay	July 2008
> 3 Los Angeles	November 2008
> 1 San Diego/Imperial	August 2008
> 1 ORSB	November 2008
>
> Odd-Numbered Years
> 2 At-large	spring GA 2009
> 2 Central	May 2009
> 1 North Bay	May 2009
> 1 East Bay	July 2009
> 1 Monterey Bay	August 2009
> 1 Central Coast	August 2009
> 1 ORSB	November 2009

I wonder how this scedule has been determined.
And I suspect that some will question the motives
for this schedule.

I may have missed something, but it seems that this
proposal will kick the At-large Reps off and not
replace them.  Why?

> II.CC Facilitation Guidelines GPCA CC meeting
> facilitation shall proceed according to the following
> guidelines:
>
> a.Proposals for CC meetings must be posted to the CC
> listserv at least one week in advance of a scheduled
> meeting.

It's about time.

> b. CC meeting agendas shall be approved by the CC
> prior to or at the beginning of a meeting, with a
> simple majority threshold for approval.
>
> c. Changes in announced facilitation require a simple
> majority threshold for approval.
>
> d. Adding time to an agenda item or altering the
> approved agenda requires a simple majority approval of
> the CC.
>
> e. Adding a last minute item that was not submitted to
> the CC list one week prior to the meeting requires a
> 2/3 threshold.
>
> f. The CC prefers to discuss decision items on
> teleconferences and at in-person meetings. If an item
> is discussed at a meeting and scheduled for an online
> vote, the threshold for that vote is the same as if
> the vote had occurred during the meeting (2/3 for
> regular meetings, 80% for a special meeting not
> scheduled at a prior meeting at least a week in
> advance). If an item goes to an online vote without
> being discussed at a meeting, it has an 80% threshold.
>
> g. Decisions may not be made after the regularly
> scheduled adjournment time of the meeting unless a
> majority (over half) decides to extend the call for a
> specific amount of time. Decisions must then be made
> within the time of the approved extension.
>
> h. Simple majority approval votes on basic
> facilitation decisions can be done by asking quickly
> for "ayes" and "nays," and only going to a roll call
> if approval is unclear.
>
> i. The new CC is requested to hire a Secretary to take
> thorough minutes of meetings, post them to the CC
> list, amend them according to posted corrections, and
> post the final version to both the CC listserv and the
> archive of minutes. The new CC shall draft a job
> description and hiring criteria for this position.

FYI, that job has been open for a long time with some
advertising and no takers.

> j. The new CC shall form a schedule of its basic tasks
> that follow from the GPCA bylaws and integrate this
> schedule with the 2-year GPCA work plan, when it is
> adopted.
>
> TIMELINE:
> Vacancies effective upon passage. Elections may take
> place starting 2 weeks after passage of this proposal.

How can you have elections starting 2 weeks after?
If this means voting in 2 weeks, then that violates
the 3 week notification above.  If it means that
notifications happen after 2 weeks, then this would
seem to mean that voting would not happen for 5 weeks
which would mean at least 12 days with no regional reps.

> Elected CC members may meet on teleconferences but may
> not make any decisions until a quorum of 14 is
> achieved.

In the past, the quorum was set at 2/3 of the filled
seats, so this would set the threshold higher if there
are empty seats.

> RESOURCES:  Hiring a Secretary will require the CC
> budgeting funds for this.

- Off hand the facilitation changes seem a good idea.

- One thing that has often been talked about, but noone
   (that I know of) has ever followed through on, is
   an orientation process / booklet for new CC members.

Gerry