[Sosfbay-discuss] California Hack du jour - US Sen. Diane Feinstein

Tian Harter tnharter at aceweb.com
Sat Nov 3 09:35:41 PDT 2007

I realized some of the implications of the fact that the Greens are a
Political Party back in the mid '90s. I was sitting in the back of the
room at a Statewide meeting when somebody said "Feinstein said
(whatever)" That person was talking about the Feinstein in the Senate.

Somebody else said "Feinstein's position is (the opposite)." My friend
was talking about the Feinstein who was then already a wheel in Santa
Monica politics. Later I found out there is a pianist named Michael
Feinstein, also from Santa Monica. I got one of his cassettes, just
for the entertainment value of seeing the name of a friend in my music
collection. I guess that's a natural consequence of his common name.

I just sat there quietly with a giggly feeling. Sometimes when I see an
author appearance by Rebecca Solnit I remember Daniel Solnit, the Green
activist whose spirituality was a great influence back in the early days
of the GPCA. I wonder if they are related. How much does it matter
anyhow? Both of them have a green sensibility in their politics for
whatever reason.

Other times I think of the people I've talked to that got their last
name at Ellis Island, part of the "welcome to America" ritual. Some such
individuals have much less pride in their names than I was raised with.
I'm still convinced there are a lot of lessons about our history in the
name game.

Tian

--
Tian