[Sosfbay-discuss] California Hack du jour - US Sen. Diane Feinstein

alexcathy at aol.com alexcathy at aol.com
Sat Nov 3 09:07:54 PDT 2007

Dear Green Friends,

By now you've probably heard that our dear Sen. Diane Feinstein announced her support for Michael Mukasey as Bush's next attorney general.? Her "explanation" is published as an op-ed in today's Los Angeles Times.? I have posted a blog entry on Green Commons, but there is so much stuff about Feinstein that it's more than one day's work.? Please leave comments with your favorite examples of Feinstein mendacity (her record is s-o-o-o bad it has probably hurt my friend, Mike Feinstein, that he must go through life with the same last name!).?

Alex Walker

California Hack du jour - US Sen.
Diane Feinstein

The California Democratic Party Hack
Du Jour is U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein. Sen.
Feinstein's record as one of President Bush' chief enablers on all matters
foreign and domestic is so bad, one hardly knows where to begin. Documenting
this is a big job and I expect to be updating this Blog for a few days to get
it all down.

The latest outrage is that Sen.
Feinstein provided a crucial Democratic vote to confirm Michael B. Mukasey as
George W. Bush's latest consigliere at the Justice Department. To add
insult to injury, the Los Angeles Times published Feinstein's statement
"explaining" her latest cave-in:

Published in the Los
Angeles Times, Saturday, Novermber 3, 2007

Sen.
Feinstein: Judge Mukasey has my vote

by Dianne Feinstein

During a long career in public
service and private practice, Michael B. Mukasey has forged an independent path
as a lawyer and federal judge. He has presided over 1,600 cases in almost 19
years on the bench. He has extensive experience on national security cases --
presiding over such critically important cases as U.S. vs. Rahman and Padilla
vs. Bush. In the Omar Abdel Rahman case, 10 defendants were given prison
sentences ranging from 25 years to life.

Judge Mukasey is not Alberto R.
Gonzales. In our confirmation hearings (and subsequently, in writing), Judge
Mukasey's answers to hundreds of questions were crisp and to the point, and
reflected an independent mind. That's why I intend to vote to confirm him to be
our next attorney general. I truly believe he will be a strong advocate for the
American people.

The Justice Department is in
desperate need of effective leadership. It is leaderless, and 10 of its top
positions are vacant. Morale among U.S. attorneys needs to be restored,
priorities reassessed and a new dynamic of independence from the White House
established.

I believe that Judge Mukasey is
the best nominee we are going to get from this administration and that voting
him down would only perpetuate acting and recess appointments, allowing the
White House to avoid the transparency that confirmation hearings provide and to
diminish effective oversight by Congress.

?

Read More At: http://www.greencommons.org/node/829

?