[Sosfbay-discuss] Idea for holiday social: Dec 15th Jared Ball4 Prez gathering

Kaisha Torres kaisha_marie at comcast.net
Sat Nov 17 17:07:45 PST 2007

Group:
I got a message from Iliad today meant for all of us but only sent to me so
I include it below. In regards to hosting our event at the Smoke Tiki. As he
states, if the 15th is the day, then we must find another venue. And not
that my attendance is necessary for my participation in making this happen
(at least up until that evening) but I am unable to attend that day/evening
as well due to prior family obligations I was reminded of today. Regardless,
I will assist to bring this event to fruition. This brings up a few
questions though:

1. Is this a required event date?
2. If another venue is needed, what is the required location attributes? Can
we hold this at an event center and bring in refreshments? sound system?
entertainment?
3. If others have experience doing a fundraising Christmas social, what were
the challenges and how were they met?
4. Is there any funds available to support hosting this event that could be
recouped by donations at the door, etc?
5. It is easier to simply find a venue like the Smoke Tiki where everyone
can purchase their own refreshments, entertainment is provided, etc but
unless someone from the group has a contact, generally a location fee is
required to reserve tables or a minimum ordering requirement is needed. For
example, I held a fundraising at Rooster T Feathers and had food catered to
the event by a local barbecue house. I asked for a 40 dollar donation which
covered the comedy and food with a portion left over for donation to the
group I was raising funds for. The event needed to have a certain number of
attendees in order to cover the expenses but the club made it possible to
achieve a profit on the ticket price, however, when we added the food and
had poor attendance, we actually ended up with a loss. Better
planning/marketing for greater attendance, cheaper food or none at all,
would make it a great fundraising idea, if that was the kind of venue we
went for. I was also allowed time to address the crowd between/after
performances.

I can't wait to hear what others have to say about this and I am excited to
participate.

Kaisha