[Sosfbay-discuss] LGB(T) Community

eden edenw at gal3.com
Tue Nov 20 12:21:24 PST 2007

On Nov 20, 2007 11:56 AM, Edward <the_alliance47 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> There is some debate among progressives about the Employment
> Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA), because it would only prohibit discriminating
> against gays, lesbians, and bisexuals, not including transgendered. Do we
> support it even though it does not protect all in the LGBT community or do
> we say all-or-nothing, no compromise with moderates?

   I can't remember where i read this analysis, so i am open to
correction, but my understanding is that among the current bill's
compromises are some definitions of behavior. I believe that the
current definitions prohibit discrimination against homosexual
behavior but that effeminate men and "tomboys" may be discriminated
against because they are expressing "gender" not "sexuality". The
question remains whether a man with earrings or a woman not feminine
"enough" whether homosexual or heterosexual will be protected. So, as
the argument goes, if you don't protect gender expression, you are not
actually protecting sexual expression (since most people don't
actually express sexuality in public).

   I suppose that there are gay men and lesbians who "pass as
straight" who will claim a victory because they will now be able to
publicly proclaim their sexuality and then go back to work. But those
who are in need of protection, "creative" or "different" people, seem
to have gained nothing.

> In theory, I think baby steps are necessary to get to the end goal, but in
> reality, the government often takes one baby step...and that's it. I'm sure
> there are several examples just within the past 30 years, and this is
> potentially another one to add to the list.

   I agree. The baby step of "freeing the slaves" was followed by more
baby steps, about 100 years later, with Voting Rights, etc. It doesn't
seem to be a particularly "progressive" stand to support this flawed
"compromise" bill, since it doesn't actually seem to protect anyone
that needs protecting.

   I'd be happy to hear other opinions.

--
eden