[Sosfbay-discuss] Washington struggle re Iran attack

Gerry Gras gerrygras at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 10 11:29:03 PDT 2007

I think this is a very interesting article about the
struggle in Washington re a possible attack on Iran.

- Peace activists are calling on the military to resist
   action against Iran.  ("Daniel Ellsberg, Cindy Sheehan,
   Ann Wright and many other leaders of the American peace
   movement")

- Congress is unlikely to stop an attack

- the military is resisting:
   "Asked in an online discussion September 27 whether the
   Bush Administration will launch a war against Iran,
   Washington Post intelligence reporter Dana Priest
   replied, 'Frankly, I think the military would revolt and
   there would be no pilots to fly those missions.'

   She acknowledged that she had indulged in a bit of
   hyperbole, then added, 'but not much.'"

- "What contribution can the peace movement make to this
   process? We can cover military officials' backs when
   they speak out-no one is better placed than the peace
   movement to defend them against Bushite charges of
   defying civilian control. We can help open a forum for
   military officers to speak out."

"How the Military Can Stop an Iran Attack"
(published in "the Nation")

     http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2007/10/10/4434/

Gerry

P.S. Scott Ritter has an article:
"No Legitimate Justification for War with Iran"

     http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2007/10/10/4437/