[Sosfbay-discuss] Washington struggle re Iran attack

Tian Harter tnharter at aceweb.com
Thu Oct 11 23:46:17 PDT 2007

This evening on the PBS News Hour there was an interview with Tom Lantos.
The topic was the genocide in Turkey, and why his committee voted it was
a bad
thing. He said "One of the things we are trying to do is send a message
that being
an acomplice to war crimes is a very bad thing", or something like that.
I'd say
sharing that quote with those guys in the Pentagon could only help.

Tian

Gerry Gras wrote:

>I think this is a very interesting article about the
>struggle in Washington re a possible attack on Iran.
>
>- Peace activists are calling on the military to resist
>   action against Iran.  ("Daniel Ellsberg, Cindy Sheehan,
>   Ann Wright and many other leaders of the American peace
>   movement")
>
>- Congress is unlikely to stop an attack
>
>- the military is resisting:
>   "Asked in an online discussion September 27 whether the
>   Bush Administration will launch a war against Iran,
>   Washington Post intelligence reporter Dana Priest
>   replied, 'Frankly, I think the military would revolt and
>   there would be no pilots to fly those missions.'
>
>   She acknowledged that she had indulged in a bit of
>   hyperbole, then added, 'but not much.'"
>
>- "What contribution can the peace movement make to this
>   process? We can cover military officials' backs when
>   they speak out-no one is better placed than the peace
>   movement to defend them against Bushite charges of
>   defying civilian control. We can help open a forum for
>   military officers to speak out."
>

>"How the Military Can Stop an Iran Attack"
>(published in "the Nation")
>
>     http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2007/10/10/4434/
>
>Gerry
>
>P.S. Scott Ritter has an article:
>"No Legitimate Justification for War with Iran"
>
>     http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2007/10/10/4437/

Tian
http://tian.greens.org
This weekend I saw Michelle Shocked, Steve Earle, and Emmylou Harris.