[Sosfbay-discuss] 10/10/07 Final Minutes - East Valley Greens

Kaisha Torres kaisha_marie at comcast.net
Sun Oct 14 16:39:22 PDT 2007

Group -
You will find the finalized minutes with the requested revisions below as
well as a .pdf of the same information attached.
Thanks,
Kaisha

______begin minutes________

Attendees:  Kaisha, Rob, Cameron, Jim Doyle, Drew

Meeting officially started (late) at 7:30PM with the welcomed addition of
two new visitors: Cameron, who is in the local area, and Jim Doyle, who was
kind enough to bring his knowledge and experience to our group. Iliad was
unable to attend but he did provide the group with the great idea listed
below regarding the public endorsement of the Mayor’s Green Vision.

PRTs
A lively discussion about PRTs and the technology available. We talked about
the possibility of showing a video that Santa Cruz PRT activists have
created and that the Santa Cruz Greens have hosted as well as additional PRT
videos Rob is aware of.  Both the possibility of using a movie night at the
Peace Center and that of doing a larger event were discussed. Rob offered to
contact Ed Porter, Santa Cruz City Council member and PRT advocate about the
video and invitation to present their plan to us.  Rob mentioned that other
videos exist that could also be used.

GREEN PARTY MOVIE
The discussion moved to what movie to show on the 19th as the EV Greens host
another movie at the Peace Center. Cameron suggested “Who Framed Roger
Rabbit?” because it deals with the history of transportation, specifically
the removal of trolley lines across America. Bill Michael was suggested as
the after movie speaker. Cameron will contact Bill and confirm he is
available and interested.

A discussion ensued about the EV Greens hosting the monthly meeting from
this point forward. While the group did not object to hosting per se, the
responsibility for food and beverages should be spread around to other
members of the party. Kaisha suggested compiling a list of active members
and doing refreshments on a rotation basis. Then the group talked about the
tradition of bringing food and what that means in regards to what we need to
bring. The group decided we shouldn’t monopolize on the event and instead
should share the experience. We asked Drew to announce at the NV Green
meeting tomorrow night that we will not be hosting the movie in November.

Cameron will be sending out the reminder for this month’s movie with a
description of the movie and how it relates to the transportation industry.

MAYOR CHUCK REED’S GREEN VISION
Discussed Iliad’s suggestion of supporting the Mayor’s Green Vision as
presented in the Mercury  on Tuesday. Kaisha located the .pdf of the mayor’s
proposal and emailed a copy to the group and other green party members who
may be interested in this topic but have yet to attend our local meeting.

Discussed drafting a press release in support of the Mayor’s intent
specifically listing our reservations. In order to support a political
person’s vision and plan, the group should draft a proposal, submit it to
the discussion group for initial review of the draft and then present the
finalized version at the next county council meeting. The proposal should
include the press release, the concepts/content of the vision/plan we intend
to support and what we are asking the Green party to endorse. The County
Council needs to meet within one week from  this Saturday. Jim Doyle and
Drew will let the group know when that meeting is. In the meantime, the
group agreed to review the Mayor’s proposal and send their comments and
concerns to Kaisha who will compile it into a proposal and send out for
review.

GREEN PARTY MEMBER RUNNING FOR PALO ALTO CITY COUNCIL SEAT
Drew mentioned the possibility of being able to support member Tim Gray, who
is running for a seat in Palo Alto.

EV GREEN HOSTED SOCIAL FOR NOVEMBER
The date suggested for the next social:  Friday, 11/23/07  - the Theme
suggested is: “Buy Nothing Day” meaning that instead of going to the mall,
come to our social and spend time discussing meaningful subjects with
interesting people.

BAREC ISSUE
Jim said that Warner submitted a proposal to do phone banking in support of
this issue in January. Drew indicated that Warner might not be joining us
monthly any time soon but the group will keep this issue in the loop for
continued review.

EV GREEN CARD
Drew suggested we created a business card like intro card to hand out to
people. 4 pillars, url and email address, 408-22EARTH. We meet the second
Wednesday of the month, every month. Drew would post our html if we send it.
Rob agreed to create and put together a web page for the EV Greens. The web
page will contain – meeting dates & times, location & map & transit info,
upcoming events, zone covered by this local, and our active issues and
projects.

LITTER ISSUE
Kaisha briefly discussed her impassioned opinion on litter and random ideas
about raising awareness of the new call-in reporting phone number. Kaisha
will bring a proposal of some ideas to the next local meeting. The contact
info to report a litterer is: stopvehiclelittering at sanjoseca.gov or call
(408) 277-4111.

DEMOCRACY CAFÉ
Rob sent email and the date is January 19th. Rob is looking for supporting
and funding to get this event set in stone. All members of the group are
behind him 100%. Rob is sending out another detailed invitation to
participate to the entire discussion group.  We will send it out to people
above and beyond the greens help Rob gain support and enthusiasm for his
fantastic idea. Here are a few lines from Rob’s introduction:
The purpose of our Democracy Café is to explore possibilities for increasing
democracy and cooperation in Milpitas politics.  The Sunnyhills Neighborhood
Association (SNA) of Milpitas has written the proposal for this Democracy
Café to examine the question "What actions can Milpitans take to create
better democracy for ourselves"? Using the
World Café model, we'll provide an informal and relaxed environment that
celebrates and harnesses differences, yet also helps us see what connects
us.

Upcoming Events & Meeting DATES:
Next  two EV Green meetings:         11/14/07 @ 7pm, location: 1421
Yellowstone, Milpitas
12/12/07 @ 7pm, location: 1421 Yellowstone, Milpitas
Festival Meeting:                               NO DATE SET
Green Party Social:                           (Tentative) 11/23/07, @ 6-8pm,
Smoke Tiki Lounge
152 Post Street, San Jose, Ca. 95113  (408) 292-4266
EV Green Hosts Movie:                    10/19/07 @ 7pm at SJ Peace Center:

Meeting adjourned at 9:30pm