[Sosfbay-discuss] NY Times Tom Friedman on 'Green for All' Project in Oakland

alexcathy at aol.com alexcathy at aol.com
Wed Oct 17 14:56:39 PDT 2007

Dear Green Friends,

Here I go again.? I know some people think I'm a little "crazy" with my ranting about the need for "Green" action in the inner-city, and the utter failure of mainstream "liberal" Democrats to offer anything more new, but see below a link to an article by, of all people, Thomas Friedman of the New York Times on this very subject.

Alex Walker

NY Times Tom Friedman on Oakland 'Green for All'

Some believe that "truth"
is only what they read by a big-name journalist in The New York
Times. Very well. Now comes a gushing piece by, of all people, the
"liberal" hawk, Thomas Friedman of the New York Times
about "green" projects in inner-city Oakland, California:

"The
Green-Collar Solution" by Thomas Friedman, New York Times, October 17,
2007.

Van Jones of the Ella Baker Center
for Human Rights in Oakland is an environmental activist whose views on the
"Green" question in poor communities of color are very close to my
own.

The idea of the "Green for
All" campaign (greenforall.org) is to
get federal, state, and local governments to allocate money to train 30,000
young people a year in green trades.

"If we can get these youth in on the ground floor
of the solar industry now, where they can be installers today, they'll become
managers in five years and owners in 10. And then they become inventors,"
said Mr. Jones. "The green economy has the power to deliver new sources of
work, wealth and health to low-income people - while honoring the Earth. If you
can do that, you just wiped out a whole bunch of problems. We can make what is
good for poor black kids good for the polar bears and good for the
country."

Green Party candidate, Daniel Abraham Brezenoff,
talked about this during his campaign for Congress in California's 37th
district. He didn't make much hay in 2007, but I do think it's a coming
"wedge issue" to differentiate real progressives from bullshit "liberal" Democrats whose idea of liberal
"urban renewal" is a little more welfare, selling out to big developers, big box stores like
Wal-Mart, and gentrification of poor neighborhoods while making sure
precious public dollars go to their relatives and cronies.

Read More on My Blog at: http://www.greencommons.org/node/816

?