[Sosfbay-discuss] Friday night Peace Center movie, Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Cameron L. Spitzer cls at truffula.sj.ca.us
Thu Oct 18 19:36:15 PDT 2007

Tomorrow night we're showing /Who Framed Roger Rabbit
<http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0096438/>/ (1988)
at the San Jose Peace Center.  48 North 7th street San Jose,
half a block from a 22/522 bus stop.

/Roger Rabbit/ is the last animated feature film done in "ink and paint."
After that it was all computerized.  It's a tribute to the decades of
cel animation <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cel_animation> that it
ended.  The front story is about an on-the-skids
detective redeeming himself by solving one last case.  The back
story is the conspiracy to rip out the public transit systems from
US cities in the '40s and '50s to force white people into cars
and suburbs, and blacks into inner city ghettos.  The bad guy is a
caricature of Richard Nixon and Joseph McCarthy.
Nixon was chair of the Senate Transportation Committee.

It's really well made.  Won three Oscars^TM .  The opening sequence
is the most intense animated cartoon you've ever seen.  Lots of
great quotes.  Daffy Duck and Donald Duck have a duet, only time
they've ever appeared together.  Most expensive picture ever made
at the time of its release.  Last performance of Mae Questel as
the voice of Betty Boop.

I've lost touch with the public transit history expert I wanted to do the
discussion afterward.  I'd like to talk instead about using "mainstream"
movies to introduce progressive ideas to your politics-averse friends.

Cameron