[Sosfbay-discuss] Why i WILL be going to the protest march on Saturday October 27

eden edenw at gal3.com
Wed Oct 24 13:13:06 PDT 2007

Hello,

   First, i want to apologize for not following up directly on the
messages entitled something like "Why i will not go to the next
protest march". I thought i saved them, for this response, but now i
can't find them and i also don't know where the archives for this list
might be.

   I agree that marching on anniversaries or even weekly will not stop
anything. But, as i recall, the writers of the original messages were
saying something like "we believe that more direct action (of one form
or another) will be the only way to stop the war", etc.

   I feel that "demonstrations" demonstrate to other people, the
people who are not there, that there are "large" numbers of us who
think and feel the same about the war (among other issues). Some may
feel that the point has been made, based on polls. But i believe that
the point needs to be reiterated periodically by body counts - live
bodies. I don't anticipate a really huge crowd, but a "decent showing"
will, i believe, have a continuing positive effect. One of those
important effects, i believe, is to make people realize that the
demonstrations themselves will not stop the war and that more needs to
be done. That's at least one method to create new "activists".

   So, i would like to encourage everyone to come out, join us and say
to everyone you see at the demonstrations "This is great. But what
will be our next step?"

--
eden