[Sosfbay-discuss] [Fwd: Senate to Decide on Habeas – Call Now!]

Gerry Gras gerrygras at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 18 16:15:57 PDT 2007

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Senate to Decide on Habeas – Call Now!
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 13:40:27 -0700
From: "PFAW Activist Network" <alerts at pfaw.org>
To: "Gerald Gras" <gerrygras at earthlink.net>

[People For the American Way]
[Action Alert]
Forward this e-mail
<http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=7eIBJQMyGgIILZJ&s=ehLVL6OFJjLUL4NLJsF&m=guKWIhPQJdK4H>

Subscribe to PFAW Action Alerts
<http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=ahKHJZOKIlLPI7I&s=ehLVL6OFJjLUL4NLJsF&m=guKWIhPQJdK4H>

PEOPLE FOR THE AMERICAN WAY September 18, 2007
[PFAW_banner]
<http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=dkINK8PWLoKWKhL&s=ehLVL6OFJjLUL4NLJsF&m=guKWIhPQJdK4H>

[PFAW_red_underline]
<#>  <http://www.pfaw.org/pfaw/general/default.aspx?oid=16852>
[transparent]

<https://www.kintera.com/accounttempfiles/account7839/images/habeasbanner.jpg>

Sen. Dianne Feinstein
Phone: (202) 224-3841
Sen. Barbara Boxer
Phone: (202) 224-3553

Dear Gerald,

The Senate is likely to vote on restoration of Habeas Corpus TOMORROW!

Call your senators NOW and tell them to vote YES on the Habeas Corpus
Restoration Act -- Amendment 2022 to the Department of Defense
authorization bill (S. 1585).

Sen. Dianne Feinstein
Phone: (202) 224-3841
Sen. Barbara Boxer
Phone: (202) 224-3553

Amendment 2022, co-sponsored by Senators Leahy (D-VT), Dodd (D-CT) and
Specter (R-PA), would correct one of the worst parts of the infamous
Military Commissions Act of 2006.*

Here's our chance to roll back one of the worst attacks on civil
liberties by the Bush administration and the 109th Congress. We can't
stress the urgency enough -- please call TODAY.

As always, you can let us know how your calls go with our online call
report form at http://pfaw.kintera.org/CallReport
<http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=dkINK8PWLlKWKkL&s=ehLVL6OFJjLUL4NLJsF&m=guKWIhPQJdK4H>.

And something else to keep on your radar:

Later this week, members of Congress will take up the important task of
fixing the deceptively-named Protect America Act, passed by Congress
earlier this summer. That bill, which could probably be more
appropriately referred to as the "Spy on America Act," amended the
Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) to give the Bush
administration vast new power to spy on Americans' phone calls and
e-mails, and drastically weakened congressional and judicial oversight
on these activities.

Speaker of the House Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Reid have both
said they will push legislation to fix this awful bill, but in order for
"fix" bills to move, members of the House and Senate need to feel
grassroots pressure to restore oversight as well as important privacy
and due process protections to FISA.

Your voice will be needed. Stay tuned!

-- Your Allies at People For the American Way

P.S. Because DOD authorization is extremely unlikely to be vetoed by the
president, it could be a great vehicle for progress on several fronts --
legislation that has passed the House already, legislation that could
pass the House if we get it through the Senate and legislation that the
president has already threatened to veto could all become part of H.R.
1585 via the amendment process.

* Find out more about the Military Commissions Act of 2006 here:
http://www.pfaw.org/pfaw/general/default.aspx?oid=24598
<http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=8pIDKTNCKhIRL9K&s=ehLVL6OFJjLUL4NLJsF&m=guKWIhPQJdK4H>.

This message was sent to: gerrygras at earthlink.net

Manage your People For profile and e-mail subscriptions at:
http://www.pfaw.org/go/my_profile
<http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=6dJzHNMuFhJJIXK&s=ehLVL6OFJjLUL4NLJsF&m=guKWIhPQJdK4H>

To ensure that People For e-mails are not diverted to your spam or bulk
folders,
please add alerts at pfaw.org to your address book and/or "safe list."

Links may show up as "kintera" in the address bar. This is normal and
those Web
pages are owned and operated by PFAW.

Please DO NOT reply to this e-mail. Replies will not be read.
To contact us online, please use the web form at:
http://www.pfaw.org/go/contact_us/
<http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=9gLFIWNGLkIQK7J&s=ehLVL6OFJjLUL4NLJsF&m=guKWIhPQJdK4H>

PFAW © 2007

Remove yourself from this mailing