[Sosfbay-discuss] Fwd: do this from CA: Help another state with ballot access

Drew Johnson JamBoi at Greens.org
Fri Sep 21 14:31:35 PDT 2007

Subject: [G-C-F] do this from CA: Help another state with ballot access
From:    "Lisa Taylor" <Lisa at losangelesgreens.org>
Date:    Fri, September 21, 2007 14:11
To:      gplac-forum at cagreens.org
         "GCF" <cal-forum at marla.cagreens.org>

Arkansas Ballot Access Project: 15-20 volunteers needed ASAP

you don't have to be in AK,

 >We need people who are at least moderately familiar with Microsoft

 >Access. There was no other common software which could be used to pull

 >this off.

 >To: ballot-access at lists.gp-us.org

 >From: Phil Huckelberry <phil.huckelberry at gmail.com>

 >Subject: Arkansas Project: 15-20 volunteers needed ASAP

 >Please forward this message to state and local lists as you deem
appropriate.

 >We are currently looking for 15-20 people who can devote a chunk of
time -

 >perhaps an hour two - in the next couple of days to assist in the

 >concluding days of the Arkansas ballot drive. If people are capable of

 >devoting even more time, that would be even better.

 >Volunteers will be given a web address with a login and a password,
and

 >will be assigned one of a number of 5-page PDF files. Each page
contains

 >up to 20 signatures from the Arkansas ballot drive. Volunteers will

 >download the PDFs, look at the cities where the signatures were
collected,

 >and then download Microsoft Access files containing portions of the
voter

 >rolls for the State of Arkansas, so that they can attempt to verify
the

 >signatures.

 >A signature is verified if you can match three out of four fields
to the

 >voter rolls - name, address, city, and date of birth. The voter
rolls are

 >broken down so that the 12 largest cities in the state are all
separate

 >files, and then the rest of the cities are divided alphabetically into

 >eight other files. The voter rolls break addresses down into street

 >number, street name, and street type. Often the best bet is to sort
the

 >list by City, Last Name, First Name, Street Address. For each of
the five

 >sheets, the volunteer will simply return the number of signatures
on the

 >page (usually 20, sometimes 19, sometimes less), and the number of
those

 >signatures which were verified.

 >We need people who are at least moderately familiar with Microsoft

 >Access. There was no other common software which could be used to pull

 >this off.

 >I need volunteers to commit to being able to download their PDF and
come

 >up with results for each of their sheets within about 24-36 hours of

 >emailing me back. I want to have this project completely knocked
out on

 >Saturday.

 >More information about the Arkansas ballot drive is included below for

 >everyone's reference. Please email me at this address -

 >phil.huckelberry at gmail.com - if you are interested in
participating. Let

 >me know how much time you think you can offer, and also let me know
if you

 >have extensive database experience such that you think you will be
able to

 >work more quickly than most people; then I might assign you 2 PDF
files

 >instead of one.

 >Our hope is that if this is successful it can turn into a model for
how

 >other drives might be assisted by out of state volunteers. By
enhancing

 >awareness and activity in ballot drives across the country,
hopefully this

 >can in turn lead to greater fundraising for ballot access efforts
and also

 >to bringing some creative minds into our vital ballot access work to

 >assist with efforts like this. Our extensive database work in Illinois

 >protected our petitioning effort in 2006. We expect similar attacks
from

 >the Democrats in 2008 - and if we can come together like this, we
will be

 >ready to fend those attacks off.

 >Phil Huckelberry

 >Co-Chair, Green Party of the United States

 >Co-Chair, GPUS Ballot Access Committee

 >phil.huckelberry at gmail.com>

 >----------

 >[the following is part of a message which was originally sent out on

 >Tuesday, September 18]

 >The Green Party of Arkansas is currently nearing the end of a 60 day

 >ballot drive. Arkansas is a "floating window" state and they chose to

 >start their drive very early - late July 2007 - because the enhanced

 >availability of professional petitioners. The drive wraps up next

 >week. It seems like they are on pace.

 >To help ensure this, though, they have a critical need for out-of-
state

 >help to support their efforts. They are looking to have a number of

 >petition sheets examined for validity. They need 10,000 valid
signatures

 >and are operating under the assumption that 16,000 raw signatures will

 >make them safe, but they would like to know if validity rates are
dipping

 >below 67% and whether they might then need to scurry to collect an
extra

 >thousand signatures in the next week.

 >To this end, we have acquired the list of registered voters from
the State

 >of Arkansas, and I have had Mark Swaney and Mark Jenkins send me
copies of

 >some of their petition sheets. The voter list, cleaned up and then
broken

 >down into multiple Microsoft Access files (large cities get their own

 >files and the remainder of the rolls are broken down alphabetically),

 >along with scans of 67 petition sheets, have been uploaded to a
secure web

 >site.

ID 319 - To
Sustain the Decision of the SC Regarding Proposal 316 - GPAX
PPS - in Voting Queue
More information about the Natlcomvotes mailing list

JamBoi
http://www.greencommons.org/blog/63
"Peaceable: the ability to interact peacefully.  A skill set similar to
social or emotional intelligence that is unfortunately rare in today's
American culture, but can be developed by all.  The Green Parties need to
lead the way in Peaceableness."