[Sosfbay-discuss] Agenda Item: Straw Poll - is GP-US Pres. nominating convention determine who's appears on our ballot in Nov.?

Drew Johnson JamBoi at Greens.org
Tue Apr 1 20:58:41 PDT 2008

> In a message dated 3/31/2008 10:25:17 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
> j.m.doyle at sbcglobal.net writes:
>
> The next  monthly meeting is upon us.
>
> Please submit your requests for agenda  items.
>
> Jim Doyle

I have an agenda item:

Straw Poll:

Q: Does the GPSCco understand our state party ballot line for presidential
elections to be automatically bound to the results of the Green Party of
the United State's nominating convention by virtue of the GPCA's
affiliation agreement with the GP-US?  Yes or No?

Background Info:

Here's the relevant text from the GPCA/GP-US affiliation agreement:

"It is also agreed that the GPCA will use its best efforts to
support ballot access for national candidates nominated by
the Green Party of the United States and candidates
nominated by the GPCA."

I want to take a straw poll as to whether Green Party of Santa Clara
County members believe the GP-US nominating convention in Chicago should
have the final say on which Presidential candidate appears on the
California ballot in November.  I am a participant in GPCA General
Assemblies as well as a delegate (along with Warner Bloomberg and Sanda
Everett from our Silicon Valley Region) to the standing GP-US National
Committee (which is sort of like the national congress or standing General
Assembly of the Green Party-US) and this is a hot topic in those venues.
I want some direction from my county party on how I should represent the
collective sense.

Some have promoted the idea at the General Assemblies and on the GPCA
delegation to the National Committee that the GPCA should be free to
reject the GP-US's nominee and put our own selection on the ballot
independently of whatever is decided at the GP-US nominating convention.
This second guessing process would require another GPCA General Assembly
after the GP-US nominating convention and would likely mean our reports to
the California Secretary of State would be submitted late.

Given this what is the collective sense of the GP of Santa Clara County?

Green is Core!