[Sosfbay-discuss] ROV fines

Jim Doyle j.m.doyle at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 8 00:00:08 PST 2008

Here is a copy of my response to Ray Tobey and the attachment
from Margaret Pye.

It is an attempt at a clarification of the situation.

The bottom line is that negotiations is the next step.

I did visit the Registrar of Voters office today, Monday 1/7.
The procedure is to forward a notice to the County's cashier requesting
the cashier
to collect the amount of the fines.  A payment plan can be arranged.

Thus step one is to negotiate, step two is to work out a payment plan.

Jim Doyle

Response to Ray Tobey:

Thank you Ray for your attention to this matter.
There are two entities involved.
The county Resistrar of voters
and the Secretary of State's Political Reform Division.

The latter has a waiver form which I have filled out and submitted
compliments of  someone in the Political Reform Division who also informed
me of the - shall I say - proposed amounts of fines because I still have
not received
their notice.

That same person informed me that there was a change of law in late 2005
which
effectively classified all central committees as "state" committees for
which there are
different filing requirements.

Prior to that law change we were classified as a "county" committee.

The fines requested by the Santa Clara county Registrar of Voters office
were
for two reports due for the year 2005.

I have the impression from Margaret Pye's comments that her dealings
were with the state
so I am on top of that having already filed the request for a waiver of
fines.

Next up is to negotiate with the Registrar of Voters office in Santa
Clara county.

Jim Doyle