[Sosfbay-discuss] Proposition 92: Clarifying Questions

Edward the_alliance47 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 4 11:04:07 PST 2008

I have made up my mind about all the propositions except Prop. 92. After reading the Legislative Analysis in the Official Voter Information Guide, I have come across some unclear points. It says that “Proposition 92’s new funding [formulae] would not apply in years when K-14’s share of General Fund spending was less than” the level specified in Proposition 98 (1998), which says “that K-14 education must receive at least a specified percentage (about 40 percent) of General Fund revenues each year.” However, if there is a minimum percentage of General Fund revenues allocated towards K-14 education, why would it ever be less than that amount? Wouldn’t this turn into a zero-sum game for K-12 and community colleges, because if K-12 receives more funding, then community colleges receive less? In 2011, Figure 2 shows that both the young adult population and K-12 enrollment is expected to grow. Does this mean that state funding will increase for both if this proposition passes? If
 so, why then does the Guide state on the following page that “starting 2010-2011 and continuing for the near future, we do not expect that the new funding [formulae] established by Proposition 92 would be in effect?”

My second concern is that of determining the funding towards community colleges. Basing funding on the growth of the young adult population is good when more young adults enroll in community colleges. It is bad when more decide to enroll in CSUs or UCs and when the growth rate of the young adult population is negative. Proposition 92 could potentially deter funds from our CSUs and UCs in the former case and not provide adequate funding for those wishing to pursue higher education in community colleges in the latter, which may deter people from enrolling altogether.

I also have some minor concerns. First, the Guide states that “in the past decade, fee levels have fluctuated between $11 and $26 per unit.” I am assuming these are the nominal values and not real values. If we were to convert these to real values, does the correlation between year and cost remain the same? (What is the correlation even using the nominal values?)

Second, the Guide says that a family of four making $65,000 a year can qualify for a fee waiver. However, what is the total cost of attending a community college (including books & supplies, room & board, personal expenses, transportation expenses, etc)? What about independent students or students with families? Also, where do the funds for financial aid come from? By lowering student fees from $20 to $15, taxpayers save $5 per student who receives financial aid, but costs $5 for every student not receiving financial aid. This is illustrative of my larger question of the proposition fixing per capita revenue but not accounting for the highly likely scenario that per capita costs will increase.

Finally, the Guide mentions that “the measure gives [the Board of Governors] ‘full power’ over how to spend funds appropriated for its administrative expenses in the annual budget.” What accountability and transparency measures are in place upon passage of this proposition? Will this turn into a body like the UC Regents, who often make decisions that benefit them and not the students?

I look forward to your response on this issue.

-Edward Chow
-------

3rd Year Undergraduate | International Political Economy Major
University of California, Berkeley
Stadium Rim Way & Gayley Road BO-402
Berkeley, CA 94720-2290
the_alliance47 at yahoo.com | 510.664.2497