[Sosfbay-discuss] L.A. Times Poll -- Hillary Leads Big in California

alexcathy at aol.com alexcathy at aol.com
Tue Jan 15 11:10:05 PST 2008

Los Angeles Times Poll - Hillary Leads Big in California

Submitted by AlexWalker on Tue, 01/15/2008

?

The Los Angeles Times?published the results of their latest opinion poll in this morning's paper:

In California, it's Clinton and McCain
by Cathleen Decker
Los Angeles Times, January 15, 2008

Hillary Rodham Clinton holds a commanding lead over Barack Obama in California as the Democratic presidential contest heads toward the Feb. 5 primary, a new statewide poll has found. John McCain's resurgent campaign claimed a slim lead among Republicans, with a trio of candidates competing to challenge him.

The L.A. Times/CNN/Politico poll, conducted by Opinion Research Corp., showed that the race remains extremely fluid, even as voters in the state are casting mail-in ballots. Six in 10 Republican primary voters said they might change candidates in the next three weeks. Among Democrats, four in 10 said they could still change their minds.

As things stand now, Clinton leads Obama 47% to 31% among voters judged likely to cast ballots in California. A third candidate, former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards, was a distant third with 10%.

The poll provides the first public glimpse of the race in the nation's largest state since the initial round of contests in Iowa and New Hampshire began to winnow the field.

As she did in New Hampshire, where she eked out a win over Obama last week, Clinton held on to a sturdy margin among registered Democrats. But the New York senator also opened a strong lead over her colleague from Illinois among independent voters. Registered voters who have declined to state a party will be able to cast ballots in California's Democratic primary but not in the GOP contest.

Those planning to vote in the Democratic primary here, as in Iowa and New Hampshire, embraced the notion of "change" as more crucial than "experience" in deciding which candidate to support. Obama led among voters who said change was their top priority.

At the risk of sounding like a cynical politician, this is great news for the California Green Party.? Most of the leading California Democratic Party Establishment Hacks have endorsed Hillary.? If?Barack Obama and John Edwrads get "kicked to the curb" by the California Democratic Party Hackarama, The California Green Party must be prepared to hit hard the next day with a message:

We Told You So!? The Democratic Party Will Never Be the Party of Change.? The So-Called Progressive Democrats, the Brothas & Sistahs for Barack, the Edwards People, the Kucinich People all Suckered You Back Into the Working with the Donkey Party Only to be Frustrated Again.

We Told You So!? The Democratic Party Will Never Be the Party of Change.? The So-Called Progressive Democrats, the Brothas & Sistahs for Barack, the Edwards People, the Kucinich People all Suckered You Back Into the Working with the Donkey Party Only to be Frustrated Again.

I say again, Greens should leave Obama, Edwards, and Kucinich alone.? I cannot overemphasize what a disaster it would be for Euro-American "White" Greens to run around badmouthing Barack Obama now for not being "politically correct" on every issue.?

Let the Demoblicans self-destruct and then our time will come.?

By the way, my strategy applies regardless of which Green candidate wins our primary in February.?

?

Leave a Comment on Green Commons at:

?

http://www.greencommons.org/node/933