[Sosfbay-discuss] Intiative for Farm Animal Cruelty - Please Read!

Ryan Frazier ryanfrazierwg at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 15 11:55:03 PST 2008

Hello all,
As a registered green party voter, I knew this would be a good place to inform you about a California initiative to end the intense confinement of farm animals.

The Humane Society, Farm Sanctuary, and Californians for Humane Farms have drafted a California initiative that will require the meat and dairy producers to allow animals the ability to:
-Stand up
-Lie down
-Fully extend limbs
-Turn around freely

It is currently legal to keep veal calves, pregnant pigs, and egg laying hens in crates and cages that deny them these most basic freedoms of nature. The animals experience dementia and an array of damaging physical effects.

Similar initiatives were passed in Florida, Arizona, and Oregon - as well as the entire European Union.  Colorado is currently working on it also.

We need all the help we can get to gather signatures - we have only 4 weeks left to gather the 650,000 signatures required to get it on the ballot in November. We are doing well, but we need more help to ensure we will reach the goal. Unfortunately, all of the signatures must be collected by hand - the state would not permit an online version.

Every signature is important - the only requirement for collecting signatures is being a registered voter. If you can collect ANY signatures, please go to WWW.HUMANECALIFORNIA.ORG for the information.  Feel free to call the number at the bottom of that page if you have any questions.  Be sure to ask them to send out your signature sheets ASAP.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Together we can make this happen!
Ryan

If you would like to gather signatures with me - email me directly.