[Sosfbay-discuss] Minutes from General Meeting in June...

Andrea Dorey andid at cagreens.org
Thu Jul 3 12:16:50 PDT 2008

I guess I should have sent these out online; I handed out hardcopies
at the meeting last night.
Those of you who weren't there missed a heck of great meeting!  (See
Drew's minutes for July 2nd already online.)

Hope you can come next time to see what a great job the "newbies" on
the SCC County Council are doing and how this is affecting even our
SCC General Meeting.  Lots of great energy and fun stuff happening!

Join us for the next meeting on August 6th at the San Jose Peace
Center and the Regional Picnic on August 9th at Murphy Park!
Andrea

---------------------------------------

Minutes — Green Party Santa Clara County, San Jose Peace Center, June
5th

Meeting in session:  7:44 pm
Selection of functionaries: Facilitator, Tian; Notetaker, Andrea;
Timekeeper, Drew ; Vibes Keeper, Fred
Others present: Gerry, Dana, Jim D, Jody, Warner, Cameron, Jim S,
Merriam

Introductions and announcements...[the following is reconstructed
from a lost document]

Warner announced memorial for Dave Wald on July 13;
Fred asked for 3 items to be added to agenda. Consensus: yes, if time
to do them.
Items were: Growing Green with positive visibility; how to boost Pres
candidate; how UN can contribute to global sustainability.

Fundraising: need $2000 by September 1st for newsletter mailing—Drew
reported.
Warner estimated that $300 was made from the yard sale at his house.
Suggested events: pancake breakfast (Drew), another yard sale, a
monthly backyard party (Dana), etc. Jim S mentioned San Mateo’s
sustainer donations—maybe adopt that here?

Jim D report—Elaine Brown delegates (need 3); Drew volunteered to
follow up.

Treasurer’s Report: bank access, $902; $83; $225; $1,044.  (Jim D &
protem Cameron)

The hat was passed to collect the usual donations and to collect
expected gifts from the new SCCcc members present.

SCCcc members present were introduced: top 7 elected were:  Carol
Brouillet, Dana St. George, Caroline Yacoub, Tian Harter, Wes Rolley,
Andrea Dorey, Jim Doyle.

Noted: of 4663 registered Greens, 916 (20%) voted; 55% by mail, 45%
at polls.
SCCcc candidates who used the LWV website were: Dana, Caroline, Tian,
Wes, suggesting that it is an effective tool for candidates.

The successful & fun Election Night party, reported by Tian; SMateo
members also there.

National Meeting & Nominating Convention, July 10-13, Chicago:
reporters, Warner/Jim S
There are still matters of controversy; reg fee is $225 with
scholarships available. Planning to go: Cameron, Warner, Jim S, Drew,
and possibly Peter Myers.

Warner: were Carol & Peter on the ballot due to ROV? Jim S: if so,
law was broken; 1992 lawsuit to allow GP to do it our way. Jim D:
yes. Jim S will draft complaint letter if needed.
No objections to this.

Events: Juneteenth volunteers include: Cameron, Jim S, Drew, Dana,
Tian, Andrea, Valerie, etc., with several to march in the Gay Pride
parade on Sunday.  We need literature to give out. Tian will contact
the McKinney campaign to download their material. Cameron still has
GP stuff, and will set up for the first day. Peter’s & Carol’s
materials will be there too. Drew said canopy is broken again.

July 4th needs volunteers to sign up. Literature needed for all
upcoming events.

Supplies: we need button stuff, new shirt design, updated GP issues.
Discussion ensued about how much could be acquired in Chicago mtg/
convention. Delegates are empowered to view and buy some materials.
$100? $50 each? Consensus was $100.
Email list uses: Warner/Jim S.  We need to review the proper use of
these, especially multi-posting.

Warner: new council needs to decide the names that will be retained
on meeting list: old members? advisors? etc.

Local activities: supporting campaigns. Reported by Drew.  McKinney,
Carol, Peter.

Impeachment report, Merriam: So Bay Labor Council sending impeachment
resolution; DFA will send letter to Lofgren—they’ve spent 29 weeks in
front of her office.
Fred: Mtn View City Council is to issue impeachment resolution on
June 24th;
Fred’s article appeared in Mtn View Voice urging that it is not too
late to impeach.
Merriam reported on SClara Board of Sups;  also, Torrico and
Cabellaro received impeachment proposal. A state proposition to
Federal floor of Congress. Some Dems are following Pelosi:
“Impeachment is not on the table.”

Fred outlined his 3 proposals: (1) Growing GP—more press releases,
can we help other progressive groups, no time for forums for many
people, how to attract attention, have a potluck?
Warner: we need a specific proposal.
Merriam: meet weekly, not monthly?
Fred: (2) how to boost Pres candidate—how to give McKinney more
press, blogs?
Drew: use Green nexus site.
Warner: need to contact Pres candidate/two local candidates—schedule
now, get committee, get candidates on board with dates.
Drew: Kent Mesplay campaign challenged other to a debate...
Fred: (3) How UN can contribute—start a Green World Congress of Green
parties worldwide; send a resolution?  Drew volunteered to join Fred.

Merriam: gas station project—give out literature at stations while
people are still enraged at cost of tank of gas; press releases to
let people know which stations and to recruit volunteers to help.

Tian: next meeting on first Wednesday.  Warner expressed concern
about abrupt decision.  Tian will conduct email poll.

Meeting adjourned at 10:10 pm
Meeting notes by ALD