[Sosfbay-discuss] Rapid Bus, BART, High-Speed Rail

Rob Means rob.means at electric-bikes.com
Thu Jul 17 15:29:29 PDT 2008

I agree with Drew that the BART extension is a boondoggle.  It's a black
hole for money that is threatening many worthy Measure A transit
projects.

In addition to being 1960's technology that uses non-standard gauge
rails, BART is a corridor system in an area that sprawls.  Beefing up a
networked system like the buses makes more sense.

As an alternative, one PRT option offered by a local supporter would
blanket our area with 24/7 automated transportation for half the price
of a BART extension:
http://www.electric-bikes.com/prt/bart-prt.html

Recently, the Board of the San Jose Airport requested that VTA re-visit
plans for connecting airport terminals with BART and LRT.  VTA had
presented their $450M plan for an underground Automated People Mover
(APM) with 3 stations.  Then, a PRT guy presented a plan that included
18 stations and above-ground guideways for one-half the price.  Let's
see how VTA responds.

Rob Means, Electro Ride Bikes and Scooters
408-262-8975   rob.means at electric-bikes.com
1421 Yellowstone Ave., Milpitas, CA 95035-6913
Discover cycling that's Easy, Safe, Fast - and FUN!
---