[Sosfbay-discuss] The BAREC fight is not over...

Drew Johnson JamBoi at Greens.org
Tue Jun 10 22:13:38 PDT 2008

Subject: [barec-update] The BAREC fight is not over...
Date: Monday, June 9, 2008 11:56 PM
From: "SaveBAREC" <info at savebarec.org>
To: barec-update at savebarec.org
Dear BAREC Supporters,

It has been a while since we have contacted you.  The CEQA (California
Environmental Quality Act) Lawsuit has been filed and is currently
scheduled to be heard in court on:

Date: July 14, 2008
Time: 9:00am
Location: 191 N. First Street, Courtroom 21, San Jose, CA

This is a time and place for people to attend and see what the court
will allow for this unique piece of land.  There are many issues with
the EIR (Environmental Impact Report) and this lawsuit is put forth to
show the City of Santa Clara approved a faulty EIR.

We all hope you will attend this important meeting.  There will be
other items leading up to this event, particularly if you live in San
Jose.

If you live in San Jose (any district) and want to know how you can
help, please contact me.  We are in need of residents in the City of
San Jose (not Santa Clara) to help with San Jose related tasks.
Please contact me ASAP if you can help.  We can use 15 minutes or a
couple of hours of your time.

Thank you for the continued support for this cause.  Do not give up
(we haven't).

Kind regards,

Kirk Vartan
Spokesperson, SaveBAREC.org
www.SaveBAREC.org

On a very interesting side note, I have attached a quick summary of
the Dervaes family in Pasadena, CA.  They have turned their urban home
into a sustainable living area.  The concepts and financially
sustainable methods employed here are what we have been suggesting for
BAREC, just on a much larger scale.  This family provides for many all
year round on 1/5 of an acre.  Please take a look at this YouTube
video when you can (it also has a link to their website):

http://www.youtube.com/user/dervaes
http://pathtofreedom.com/

Founded by Jules Dervaes (Dur-VAYS) in 2001, Path to Freedom is a
grassroots, family operated, viable urban homesteading project
established to promote a simpler and more fulfilling lifestyle and
reduce one family's "footprint" on the earth's dwindling resources.

Since the mid 1980s, all five members of the Dervaes family have
steadily worked at transforming their ordinary city lot in Pasadena,
California, into an organic permaculture garden supplying them with
food all year round. They also run a successful business, Dervaes
GardensRead More, providing salad greens to local restaurants. This
helps them fund their purchases of solar panels, energy efficient
appliances, and biodiesel processor to further decrease their
homestead's reliance on the earth?s non-renewable resources.