[Sosfbay-discuss] Retail Politics

Wes Rolley wrolley at charter.net
Wed Jun 25 15:23:31 PDT 2008

I think that we, as an organization, have to learn more about retail
politics.  What little I know, I got from listening to Pete McCloskey.
Pete was recently back where he started, in Pacifica, talking to the
local Democrats... now that he is one of them.

One of the people who attended the session made a very detailed report
on their blog.  I think it would be good reading for all.

http://ohomen171.blogspot.com/2008/06/former-congressman-pete-mccloskey-more.html

There are several importing lessons here.

One is a matter of scale... cost per vote.. what it took to put 1500
volunteers on the street on election day.

Another is the fact way that and "audobon society matron" was able to
tie what she did (writing newsletters) directly to voting behavior.

Then, there is just the manner in which McCloskey continues to warn
Democrats about the love of power and it's path to corruption.

As we look forward to elections, both in November and in the years to
come, we had need to learn to play this game.

Wes

--
"Anytime you have an opportunity to make things better and you don't, then you are wasting your time on this Earth" Roberto Clemente

Wes Rolley
17211 Quail Court, Morgan Hill, CA 95037
http://www.refpub.com/ -- Tel: 408.778.3024