[Sosfbay-discuss] GPCA: Greens trumpet gay marriage decision, ask where other political parties have been...

Drew Johnson JamBoi at Greens.org
Mon May 19 12:11:55 PDT 2008

News Advisory
THE GREEN PARTY OF CALIFORNIA        www.cagreens.org

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Monday, May 19, 2008
Contact:  Susan King, spokesperson, 415.823-5524 sking at cagreens.org
	    Dr. Robert Vizzard, spokesperson, 916.206 8953, rvizzard at cagreens.org
	    Daniel Brezenoff, spokesperson, 310.422-2211 dbrezenoff at cagreens.org
	    Cres Vellucci, GPCA press secretary,  916.996-9170
cvellucci at cagreens.org

Green Party of California trumpets support
for gay marriage decision, asks other political
parties where they've been for the past 15 years?

SAN FRANCISCO, Ca. (May 19, 2008) – The Green Party of California – which,
unlike the other national political parties, has strongly advocated for the
legalization of same-sex marriage  for more than 15 years – heralded the
California Supreme Court's decision late last week to finally legalize the
marriage of couples of the same sex.

"The Los Angeles LGBT Greens welcome the decision to make same sex marriage
legal in California. The Green Party of California has had this objective
in its Platform for many, many years, and it has been supported by Green
Party presidential candidates consistently during this time," said Shane
Que Hee, LA LGBT Greens facilitator.

But, while same-sex couples could tie the knot in about a month, a state
ballot measure may change everything in November.

"We caution our LGBTIQ communities that we must still fight the Initiative
for Constitutional Amendment to ban same sex marriage in the State Election
in November of this year, and that the California Green Party and our
national party must continue to demand LGBTIQ rights. Much needs to be
done," Que Hee added.

Greens note it was a Republican – not Democratic Party – dominated high
court that struck down state laws, by a 4-3 vote, and said domestic
partnerships were not enough. Massachusetts is the only other state to
legalize gay marriage -- in 2004.

The GPCA Platform goes even further than the decision. It calls not just
for the "freedom" to marry "without discrimination, based on sex, gender or
sexual orientation," but for non-discriminatory laws regarding the right
for children to be cared for "in loving homes," equal education and care
rights, and the right of "intersex and transgender individuals to be free
of coercion and involuntary assignment of gender or sex."

More can be found at: www.cagreens.org/platform/platform_justice.shtml#sogige

-30-