[Sosfbay-discuss] GPSC General Meeting Redesign

Drew Johnson JamBoi at Greens.org
Thu May 22 08:29:26 PDT 2008

"Greens should focus on organizing their local meetings around activities.
For example: Bylaws meetings are a good way to kill your organization and
should be worked on in committee not at General Meetings."

   Brent McMillan, Political Director, GP-US

Took the words right out of my mouth!  We need to cease and desist in
using our General Meeting as some kind of Committee of the Whole.  Until
we do I will continue to vehemently steer people away from our General
Meeting (which I consider a form of cruel and unusual punishment) and
towards their Local meetings that we are developing now.  We can hold
committee meetings for our ongoing admin needs (like Outreach (incl.
Strategy, Tabling),  Inreach (incl Fundraising), Media (Incl. Newsletter,
Resolutions such as Gerry's Impeachment resolution)  but major word
smithing documents on the fly at our General Meetings is something no
Green should be asked to go through.

Jim Doyle, Merriam and I have been discussing for months how we'd likew to
reorg the General Meetings so that the County Council meetings and the
General Meetings do not end up essentially beibg carbon copies of one
another.  It boils down to trying something closer to what San Mateo does
-- their Count Council Meeting is essentially their business meeting
(although again the Co Council Meeting shouldn't devolve into a control
freak's dream and everyone else'e nightmare of another Committee of the
Whole) and their General Meeting they have video and discussion of general
interest.  We want to get conversation flowing on redesign of our meetings
to be more stimulating and FUN!

Green is Division of Labor!

Drew