[Sosfbay-discuss] Notes from November 4 meeting. Please read at least first page.

Caroline Yacoub carolineyacoub at att.net
Thu Nov 6 19:15:32 PST 2008

Green Part meeting, November 4, 2008
Those present (excuse me if I misspell or don't know your name)
Jim Doyle--facilitator
Fred Dupereau--timekeeper
Tian Harter--vibes watcher
Caroline Yacoub--notetaker
Drew Johnson, Cameron, Carol Brouillet, Warner Blumberg, Peter Myers, Paul Coe, Merriam Kathlene, and Chris Cobb, an SJSU student who is writing a paper on social movements and has chosen to study us.

In discussing the agenda, Warner brought up getting new reps to state party and whether or not we could host a state gathering some time in the next year. Fred thought we should cut out some items. Carol reminded us that Wes wants us to support Malik Rahim.

Jim has medical problems and needs to cut back. He wants preparing the agenda and coordinating events to be rotating jobs. Peter said this will work better when the new computer system  is up. Caroline volunteered to do the agenda for December. PLEASE NOTICE THIS! SEND AGENDA ITEMS TO CAROLINE!
Drew volunteered to coordinate tabling at Junior State at the Mariott on November 22.
CONTACT HIM IF YOU CAN PARTICIPATE!
Peter will coordinate the Holiday Peace Fair on Dec. 6.
CONTACT HIM IF YOU CAN PARTICIPATE!

We have a person who wants to give us 10 hours of community service. Ideas for utilizing this time included:
1)work on the computer project
2)remove dead addresses from our list
3) rake lawns and clean gutters for old/infirm people from a van with "The Green Party Cares" on the side. Warner said our liability insurance wouldn't cover this. Tian said the "Adopt a Highway" program takes half a day once a month. Caroline volunteered to call them.

Trrasurer's Report
Cameron transferred $1400 into our new account. Jim said we have. $200 in Guaranty Bank. We passed the hat and took in $60.

Peter and Carol described their classroom experiences. They found them enjoyable and think we need to do more of this.

Reports on Campaigning
Peter got 5% of the vote in his district. He raised $2000. Carol got $1000. She ran 200 TV ads. They were $6.19 per ad in her zone. Jim figured we should raise $60,000 for a candidate if we hope to win. Merriam talked about newspaper ads.
Peter said for the next meeting everybody should bring a name of a possible candidate for city council, etc. Drew said when we are talking to progressive politicians we should ask them to jooin us. Fred said we should work with other minority parties to achieve public financing. Merriam said we should get ourselves on commissions. Drew will organize a media group. CONTACT HIM IF YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE!

We decided to send individual contributioms to Malik Rahim.

Merriam said that on Sunday the 9th at 1:00 there will be an icecream social to celebrate the election being over at the Peace Center. She will also send us an e-mail about the Citizen's Transition Team. Fred has already posted things we ought to expect Obama to do.