[Sosfbay-discuss] Find-A-Candidate Challenge: Do you have a success story yet?

Ray Tobey green at bionictoad.com
Thu Nov 20 18:04:25 PST 2008

I think this is the most effective message the Green Party can send:

 Board of Supervisors, District 5 	Votes 	Percent
Ross Mirkarimi 	26,442 	77.62 %
Rob Anderson 	1,889 	5.55 %
Owen P. O'Donnell 	5,734 	16.83 %
Write-in 	1 	0.00 %

This is 26,000 people shouting in unison, "We like our Green!" In order
to send such a re-election message, we must win the first election. One
of the key calculations made in a winning campaign strategy is the 'vote
deficit'. This is the number of voters the campaign must persuade in
order to raise your base vote up to 50% + 1.

According to 60 years of sociology research, mass-media can inform large
numbers of people, but it is very poor at persuasion that changes
behavior. Even when we do get our message out, as Camejo did in the
recall debates, it does not change the votes. He got only 2.8%.

Instead persuasion depends upon dedication, time, knowledge, skill,
volunteers, resources and technical tools. As a result, our capacity to
earn additional votes is very limited. I mention all this as the reason
that I say:

*Congratulations on finding a candidate*
*for an office within our grasp!*

However, I would suggest that there are now higher priorities than
finding more candidates. The first is to convince the candidate that
you've got that he should win and serve. This is not a given, as people
run for office for many reasons.

The second is to start the learning process for both the candidate and
support team. I've participated in many campaigns that ignored the
mathematics of victory, and I've concluded that it's nearly impossible
to win without a thorough understanding of this area, among several
others. And one of the keys to convincing both candidates and volunteers
to commit to the effort is proving, by demonstrating how, that it can be
done.

I think it's even better that Dave is an engineer. He and his friends
could help us build the technology necessary to run effective campaigns,
large or small.

I stand ready to help,
- Ray