[Sosfbay-discuss] My Letter to Senator Boxer

Andrea Dorey andid at cagreens.org
Fri Oct 10 11:12:15 PDT 2008

Here's what I told her in response to her request for funds for two
new candidates for office in her email, "Nothing Personal."
Andi

-----------------

Dear Senator Boxer,

I have appreciated your occasional brave steps away from the DNC's
"centrist" line which you have taken in favor of "the people," but it
is becoming clearer to me that supporting Democrats&Republicans as
representatives of my progressive needs is no longer viable after
this latest horrific vote approving what has been called by some the
"greatest financial heist of the century."  Approved by more
Democrats than Republicans, this latest shocker follows a long list
of betrayals of "the people" by both parties that began after 9/11.

I am more disappointed than I can say, because for years I longed for
the election of more women to office, thinking that women would do
the right thing for needy women and children, at the very least.  How
wrong that conviction was, I now understand.

Our Democracy is so old and so flawed by the beginnings that
tolerated slavery and the concept of a 3/5 value for a human being,
that now we have little chance to fix our political system without an
upheaval much greater than any we have seen in our all-too-short
history.  Until we change our laws to admit all groups, however small
in numbers, to vote and to run and to take part in the public
discourse throughout all media, this country will never again reach
the greatness our Forefathers&Mothers saw in their vision.

I weep for this country and for the loss of its mission, set forth
with such hopes in the documents we no longer honor or obey.

With appreciation for your individual efforts,
Andrea Dorey